Can I mount a vDrive internally?

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Brad
ROM Dongle

Can I mount a vDrive internally?

Post by Brad »

My mdv1_ seems to be faulty anyway so I wondered if I can just replace it with a vDrive, or do I need to mount it externally? Cheers.

Also, save making another thread, the main QL power led doesn’t work. Common problem?

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: Can I mount a vDrive internally?

Post by vanpeebles »

Brad wrote:My mdv1_ seems to be faulty anyway so I wondered if I can just replace it with a vDrive, or do I need to mount it externally? Cheers.

Also, save making another thread, the main QL power led doesn’t work. Common problem?
Double check the power wires are in properly, they are fiddly on the UK version and can drop out etc. I think the internal model was on the cards but I've only seen externals?

Brad
ROM Dongle

Post by Brad »

Cheers guv.

That issue where first power on I only get a Minerva logo, requiring a reset to get to the proper boot screen (f1/f2 for mo it or/tv) is still there. Hit reset again and back to Minerva logo, hit it again and it boots etc. Most odd and I can’t find anything about it. Sorry, this is going to become Brad’s mega thread of questions and problems. However, I’m gonna go all in on QL after listening to Nigel Searle on the retro hour podcast. Let’s see what this thing can do. I’m porting my c64 adventure game engine over as soon as I get a vDrive.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

One of mine needs a reset before it works properly :)

Brad
ROM Dongle

Post by Brad »

It's only a bit more for a QL QUBIDE interface with DOM card. Seems like a better option?

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

I think the vdrive will be easier to get files onto. Getting files onto the DOM via a PC is a tricky process.

Brad
ROM Dongle

Post by Brad »

Cheers. I already have a USB -> IDE interface that I used for putting PS2 images into an IDE drive. Does that make things any easier?

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

No, the software is the tricky part. An excellent thread on the subject here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3124&start=20&hilit=drive+image+cf

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I did try to mount a Vdrive internally in the QL case, but it required alot of components changed to accommodate the vDrive interface board and card reader. I put this on hold, as I was the only one interested.

There is no problems transferring files on to Qubide formatted drive, individual files can be transferred using the Habi Image Editor.

The editor can transfer Qubide Partition images, but the destination drive partition table can not have any more partitions added.

The Habi Editor source code is not available, so it is impossible to see where the problem is.

Another solution is to use QLUB interface and create a QL Network interface with QPC2 on a PC and transfer the files that way.

Regards,

Derek