Tandata Q-Connect modem

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
mancity1961
ROM Dongle

Tandata Q-Connect modem

Post by mancity1961 »

Hi and happy New Year to all forum members. I just bought a Tandata Q-Connect modem for my QL and was hoping someone
has a copy of the manual to sell me or failing that knows where I can download a PDF of the manual.

here's hoping

Rob.

Cristian
Aurora

Re: Tandata Q-Connect modem

Post by Cristian »

I do have a copy. I might scan the manual and share... unless this breaks some ©™® :?
Am I allowed to?

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Cristian wrote:I do have a copy. I might scan the manual and share... unless this breaks some ©™® :?
Am I allowed to?
It's probably technically breach of copyright. However, if you don't have the hardware it's of no use to you, and the internet is awash with "replacement manuals". To some extent, hardware providers do not mind the manuals being made available in this way since it reduces support requests from people who lose manuals or buy second hand hardware which often comes without a manual. If you are uncomfortable with making it available yourself via the Forum, I can add it to my Replacement Manuals page on the understanding that if anyone complains or asks for it to be removed, it will be removed.

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

dilwyn wrote:It's probably technically breach of copyright. However, if you don't have the hardware it's of no use to you, and the internet is awash with "replacement manuals". To some extent, hardware providers do not mind the manuals being made available in this way since it reduces support requests from people who lose manuals or buy second hand hardware which often comes without a manual. If you are uncomfortable with making it available yourself via the Forum, I can add it to my Replacement Manuals page on the understanding that if anyone complains or asks for it to be removed, it will be removed.
As usual, copyright issues. By the way, I possess also the complete hardware (properly purchased with the manual).
Thank you Dilwyn for your proverbial willingness: it will be a pleasure for me to scan the manual and get you a PDF for the Replacement Manuals page.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

mancity1961 wrote:Hi and happy New Year to all forum members. I just bought a Tandata Q-Connect modem for my QL and was hoping someone
has a copy of the manual to sell me or failing that knows where I can download a PDF of the manual.

here's hoping

Rob.
Hi Rob, thanks to Cristian there is now a Q-Connect manual on the Replacement Manuals page on my website, at http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/docs/manuals/index.html#Tandata

mancity1961
ROM Dongle

Post by mancity1961 »

Thanks guys, much appreciated. Still waiting for my Q-Connect stack to arrive from Germany, when it arrives I hope to use it with my
new wimodem232 which hopefully I'll have Tuesday, this Covid is really messing with the deliveries of my recent purchases :(

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

mancity1961 wrote:Thanks guys, much appreciated. Still waiting for my Q-Connect stack to arrive from Germany, when it arrives I hope to use it with my
new wimodem232 which hopefully I'll have Tuesday, this Covid is really messing with the deliveries of my recent purchases :(
I know, still waiting for several packages supposedly posted from 24th November and early December from a few countries. Combined effects of Covid, Brexit and Christmas. Not just deliveries, seems to be affecting support and customer services too (as you might expect).

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

mancity1961 wrote:Thanks guys, much appreciated. Still waiting for my Q-Connect stack to arrive from Germany, when it arrives I hope to use it with my
Hi,

Whst use are hoping to use the QConnect?

winmodems do not work the same way as a Hayes modem, due the modem commands are in the Windows Operating System. So extra configuration is required.

I have altered the scanned Qconnect manual so that it has single pages and removed some black border on page edges, but it seems to of increased the file size to 9.7Mb. Maybe too large...
Last edited by Derek_Stewart on Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Regards,

Derek
janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Post by janbredenbeek »

Derek_Stewart wrote: winmodems do not work the same way as a Hayes modrm, due tge modem commands are in the Windows Operating System. So extra confuguration is required.
The OP meant wimodem, not winmodem. It appears to be a WiFi adapter with an RS-232 interface with Hayes command emulation (https://www.cbmstuff.com/proddetail.php?prod=WiModem232).

If he wants to use any comms software other than Tandata's, the QCON device driver (http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/internet/QCON_Driver_v0_99.zip) might be of interest. Qconnect uses special (non-Hayes) commands to control its RS-232 port and is not data transparent. The QCON device provides transparent I/O so you can use any comms software which isn't specially written for the Qconnect (though QTPI has support for it iirc).

Jan

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

My apologies for reading the message correctly.

In that case it should work easily with the QCON device driver.

I used to run a BBS (the excellent Qbox by Jan Bredenbeek), on a QL with a Amstrad SM2400 modem atteched to the Qconnect RS232 interface.

The system worked OK, but I connected the Modem to the QL SER2 with Hermes installed, it seemed to work better.

The next item on my list of TODOs is to revive the old BBS.

Regards,

Derek