Best SD card solution?

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Seeker
ROM Dongle

Best SD card solution?

Post by Seeker »

What's the best modern data solution for storage for the QL? I don't mean something expensive like 31/2 DD, but more like an SD card solution.

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Re: Best SD card solution?

Post by Chr$ »

Seeker wrote:What's the best modern data solution for storage for the QL? I don't mean something expensive like 31/2 DD, but more like an SD card solution.
QL-SD from Marcel (mk79 on here).

I think more (or a new one) should be available soon.

Or if you're really old school and like to play with microdrives and images thereof, then the vDrive from Charles Ingley is also very good. I think those are available on SellMyRetro.

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
Seeker
ROM Dongle

Post by Seeker »

Thanks for the info!

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I have the first version of QL-SD, which is installed inside the QL case in place of a Microdrive and attached to an updated ROM board in place of the QL Rom.

I wanted a second SD Card reader board, but could not be supplied with one. So that I could throw away all the Mircrodrives, I do not need such bad storage medium.

So I was going make some more of the v1 QL-SD, which is under a GPL licence, but I had fears, that the maker of the the QL-SD v2, would have issues with me, saying that I am copying his design.

So I am still at the PCB planning stage, and not sure whether to order new QL-SD Rpm and Reader boards.

I do not want an external QL-SD card. It would spoil the iconic look of the QL.

Regards,

Derek
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Derek_Stewart wrote:I wanted a second SD Card reader board, but could not be supplied with one.
There is no readily available solution to put two SD PCBs into a single QL. At least you need some specially crafted cable to do so. Also, I can still supply the reader board, I'm just out of ROM boards.
So I was going make some more of the v1 QL-SD, which is under a GPL licence, but I had fears, that the maker of the the QL-SD v2, would have issues with me, saying that I am copying his design.
Rubbish. Just do your own design then. I'm even supplying readily compiled CPLD binaries on my page. But you will notice in the end that building QL-SD is very labor intensive and not a fun thing to do, so go ahead.

Regarding QL-SD ROM, that is 95% finished and will probably be available in Q1 next year. QL-VGA takes priority right now, I've ordered a new batch in China, though it looks like it will miss the final Brexit date :(
I do not want an external QL-SD card. It would spoil the iconic look of the QL.
What, a QL with a dongle is as original as you can get :-D Besides, it's hardly noticeable from the front.