QL-VGA v2

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
varmfskii
ROM Dongle

Re: QL-VGA v2

Post by varmfskii »

With a US QL, if you select TV, it should run at 60Hz and Monitor 50Hz with the selection screen running at 60Hz. So US QLs ususally end up running at 60Hz.
I have ordered a Minsrva en route.

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

varmfskii wrote:With a US QL, if you select TV, it should run at 60Hz and Monitor 50Hz with the selection screen running at 60Hz. So US QLs ususally end up running at 60Hz.
I have ordered a Minsrva en route.
Is that true? When putting a US (JSU ROM version) into Monitor mode, most TV's can't see the picture and some modern LCD's claim it is PAL, but I think that's because the picture area is too big to display. The video chip (MC1377), though it supports both, I think is hardwired to each QL with pin 20 either to ground (NTSC) or unused (PAL). The 50/60 Hz is dependent on the crystal and I don't think the QL hosts both, correct?

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

As far as I can see US QLs use the same ULA and the same crystal (15Mhz). At least as the CPU frequency is also derived from the same crystal anything else would really astonish me. There is a bit in the control register of the later ULA chips (same as used in German QLs) to switch to a 192 line TV mode, but monitor mode should be the same. That is RGB output, which QL-VGA uses.

I guess there will be a different crystal for the carrier frequency around the MC1377P and whatnot, but that whole area doesn't concern QL-VGA or other RGB monitor connections.

Popopo
Trump Card

Post by Popopo »

mk79 wrote:An update on the state of QL-VGA in case anybody is wondering: https://www.kilgus.net/2020/10/05/the-l ... ql-vga-v2/
Good afternoon!
Your project is awesome! Great that your v2 prototype works, such a pity not photos nor videos.
How is it going on? New version of it or bug fixes?

When could we enjoy it?
Thank you

Popopo
Trump Card

Post by Popopo »

mk79 wrote:I left a comment, too ;) And, at least one chip they got almost right... it's the rightway round at least ;)JLCPCB_U5 wrong3.jpgBut hey, in the end the assembly fee for these boards was only like 22€ or something, that is nothing.
22€ for each board?
With components?

Cheers

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Popopo wrote:
mk79 wrote:An update on the state of QL-VGA in case anybody is wondering: https://www.kilgus.net/2020/10/05/the-l ... ql-vga-v2/
Good afternoon!
Your project is awesome! Great that your v2 prototype works, such a pity not photos nor videos.
How is it going on? New version of it or bug fixes?

When could we enjoy it?
Thank you
The production boards are almost sold out already. But there will be 10 more in the following few days on SellMyRetro, I just need to pack everything up.

Popopo
Trump Card

Post by Popopo »

mk79 wrote:
Popopo wrote:
The production boards are almost sold out already. But there will be 10 more in the following few days on SellMyRetro, I just need to pack everything up.
Nice thank you, could you address me to this place where you have them? to check the price out.

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Popopo wrote:22€ for each board?
22€ for 2 to 30 boards. This is a setup fee, amount of boards does not matter within that range, just the number of distinct parts. Parts cost extra of course. Amazingly cheap but also expensive in a way because I had to solder all remaining parts, including the FPGA, by hand. For this reason the production boards were done by a different company which takes a lot more money for it, but it's a turnkey service (they buy the parts and do everything) and it's still within reason.

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Popopo wrote:Nice thank you, could you address me to this place where you have them? to check the price out.
https://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/details/60557

Popopo
Trump Card

Post by Popopo »

mk79 wrote:22€ for 2 to 30 boards. This is a setup fee, amount of boards does not matter within that range, just the number of distinct parts. Parts cost extra of course. Amazingly cheap but also expensive in a way because I had to solder all remaining parts, including the FPGA, by hand. For this reason the production boards were done by a different company which takes a lot more money for it, but it's a turnkey service (they buy the parts and do everything) and it's still within reason.
Thank you mk79,

I asked it because I have some projects and usually it takes me a lot of time to solder SMD components and ICs, I tried to use the assambly service of JLCB but... I couldn't get it due to BOOM components and then some issues with the positions of the components or references from the Gerbers. Now I can get an idea to try it again.

SMD soldering is not a "big deal", but takes me a lot of time in testing and soldering too.