Target for major new QL hardware

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!

What is your preferred target for major new QL hardware?

Standalone machine (Q60/Q68 philosophy)
30%
QL extension slot plugin (GoldCard philosophy + graphics)
22%
QL mainboard replacement (Aurora philosophy + CPU/RAM)
29%
Miniaturized module for tinkering (Qzero philosophy*)
18%

Total votes: 76

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Re: Target for major new QL hardware

Post by Peter »

The actual hardware inside the QL case. Network connectors, 5V power supply, video, mouse. No case modding :!:
qlbase_case_back.jpg

kmmann
ROM Dongle

Post by kmmann »

It is looking good Peter. Nice and neat at the back of the ql. Will be interested to see other views in the future.

Kevin

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

Maybe a peek into the QL case with the finished baseboard and Qzero plugged in.
qlbase_qlcase_inside.jpg
Although it does not look like, it is actually possible to connect the QL keyboard directly. (USB-PS/2 combo keyboard also supported internally.)
Joystick not tested yet, as I don't own one. But the basics seem to work, including video, mouse and QL speaker support. Funny to use it with sampled sound ;)
Still waiting for parts to attach the microdrive replacements.

afx
Trump Card

Post by afx »

Peter wrote:Maybe a peek into the QL case with the finished baseboard and Qzero plugged in.

qlbase_qlcase_inside.jpg
Although it does not look like, it is actually possible to connect the QL keyboard directly. (USB-PS/2 combo keyboard also supported internally.)
Joystick not tested yet, as I don't own one. But the basics seem to work, including video, mouse and QL speaker support. Funny to use it with sampled sound ;)
Still waiting for parts to attach the microdrive replacements.
Wow ... :shock: ... How good does it look! Long live BBQL ;).

PD:
By the way, what is the function of that red connector?

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Peter wrote:The actual hardware inside the QL case. Network connectors, 5V power supply, video, mouse. No case modding :!:
qlbase_case_back.jpg
Amazing stuff! Great work :)

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

Great Stuff!
Are the ribbon keyboard connectors mounted vertically, on the left side of the board?

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

afx wrote:By the way, what is the function of that red connector?
It is a micromatch connector compatible to QL-SD. The bottom of the Qzero also has it, as an option to connect SD card sockets externally.
Since the Qzero has a MicroSD card socket onboard, this is not strictly required.

But if connected, a normal size SD card socket on the baseboard can be used (helpful if the baseboard is used outside the QL case).
Also it is needed to support the microdrive LEDs in the QL case, via the QL 6 pin connector.
Last edited by Peter on Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

Andrew wrote:Great Stuff!
Thank you. I'm still uncertain about using the module approach, which makes everything more complex.
Andrew wrote:Are the ribbon keyboard connectors mounted vertically, on the left side of the board?
I'm not sure what you mean. Yes, you see the QL matrix keyboard connectors on the left side.
I mount them with this method: Turn the QL case top 90 degree to the right. Then insert both cables straight, like into the SInclair motherboard. Then turn back the case top carefully and close it, giving the cables a 90 degree curve.

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

Peter wrote:I mount them with this method: Turn the QL case top 90 degree to the right. Then insert both cables straight, like into the SInclair motherboard. Then turn back the case top carefully and close it, giving the cables a 90 degree curve.
Wouldn't this create a lot of stress in the membrane's ribbon cables that would eventually generate cracks?

lostcarpark
ROM Dongle

Post by lostcarpark »

Andrew wrote:
Peter wrote:I mount them with this method: Turn the QL case top 90 degree to the right. Then insert both cables straight, like into the SInclair motherboard. Then turn back the case top carefully and close it, giving the cables a 90 degree curve.
Wouldn't this create a lot of stress in the membrane's ribbon cables that would eventually generate cracks?
If you're using an original 1980s membrane, this could definitely be problematic. I was working with an original membrane with my USB adapter, and the ribbon connectors had got quite brittle, and I had to trim damaged bits off the end several times. Eventually a crack appeared close to where the ribbons go around the metal plate to the top half of the case, and I had no choice but to order a new membrane. The new one seems a lot more flexible and durable, and I'd have no issue with it making a 90º turn. However, with the original one, I suspect it would put it under too much stress.
New membranes are relatively cheap, and budgeting one with this upgrade will hardly break the bank.