Target for major new QL hardware

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!

What is your preferred target for major new QL hardware?

Standalone machine (Q60/Q68 philosophy)
30%
QL extension slot plugin (GoldCard philosophy + graphics)
22%
QL mainboard replacement (Aurora philosophy + CPU/RAM)
29%
Miniaturized module for tinkering (Qzero philosophy*)
18%

Total votes: 76

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Target for major new QL hardware

Post by Peter »

Although there may not be enough time and motivation to release a major new QL hardware yet, input for strategic thought is always nice to have.
Unlike previous polls, this one is kept very general. In case someone is undecided, checking two options is allowed.

*Qzero refers to a QL-like core in RPi Zero style form factor. A prototype was briefly mentioned here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3295&p=34498

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Re: Target for major new QL hardware

Post by Chr$ »

You know me, I'm all for additions to the original QL and from a commercial perspective there are simply more potential customers and also from a retro users point of view, I like the idea of making the old QL more connected and more usable (especially with the issue of getting files onto them*) for people to get into and then all want to buy a Q68 ;)

But of course I also like the idea of more advanced all-singing and all-dancing fantastic QL compatibles, of the likes that you have been creating for many years!

*What about a little something for the expansion port that adds some RAM, TK2, (potentially other goodies) and has a USB lead or socket on it to connect to a PC/MAC running software or an emulator, capable of transferring files to/from a QL via QNET? I know, boring in terms of innovative QLing, but that would pretty cool and I'm sure would be a sales hit. Is the QNET even available from the exp port, probably not :-S

P.S. I know you do things for love and not money and whatever kind of device you decide to grace us with in the future, we are privileged that you're still at it, so put me down for one!

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

Chr$ wrote:*What about a little something for the expansion port that adds some RAM, TK2, (potentially other goodies) and has a USB lead or socket on it to connect to a PC/MAC running software or an emulator, capable of transferring files to/from a QL via QNET?
Once a card for the expansion port is designed which has USB (a slave device which offers a serial connection would be the most likely choice) one could use a fast serial port instead of QNET.

Such a card sounds like a nice entry level add-on, still leaving the QL in a condition where the 68008 is active, microdrives and very old software work.
I would probably not design it myself though - if I do an expansion port card anyway, it would go more toward something with faster CPU and video.

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Peter wrote: Once a card for the expansion port is designed which has USB (a slave device which offers a serial connection would be the most likely choice) one could use a fast serial port instead of QNET.
As long as it would come with the required cables! I think that is also a massive put-off for people discovering original hardware, because you basically have to make them yourself to be able to connect to anything. That's why I like the simple QNET idea and a PC/MAC USB dongle simply with a 3.5mm socket - but QNET is not of much use without extra RAM, hence an all in one idea.
Peter wrote:Such a card sounds like a nice entry level add-on, still leaving the QL in a condition where microdrives and very old software work.
I would probably not design it myself though - if I do an expansion port card anyway, it would go more toward something with faster CPU and video.
Yes, that makes sense of course.

Perhaps someone will see this one day that can turn my USB<>QNET+RAM into reality ;)

Keep up the good work.

Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

What version of USB are you considering, as USC is becoming the standard, on PCs.

What cables?

I would like an expansion to the QL, fst CPU high speed graphics, SD Card storage, the existing QL motherboard facilites still available. Basically, a Q68 connected to a QL.

Regards,

Derek
bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

Chr$ wrote:Y
*What about a little something for the expansion port that adds some RAM, TK2, (potentially other goodies) and has a USB lead or socket on it to connect to a PC/MAC running software or an emulator, capable of transferring files to/from a QL via QNET? I know, boring in terms of innovative QLing, but that would pretty cool and I'm sure would be a sales hit. Is the QNET even available from the exp port, probably not :-S
I'm experimenting with inexpensive SD WiFi cards to try and create some sort of WiFi file service between a PC and a QL. I just got one to work with vDrive (another one didn't and I think, with help from Charles, it likely was because it didn't support SPI). I'm next looking to debug the interface to see if some coding could yield a way to access them and push file on them (the included software lets you do limited stuff like read and transfer files. Then I could also parse the MDV files that vDrive uses and make it seamless. First, however, I need to debug the interface to see what can be accessed. Posting video of part 1 on Saturday. It might take some time with school back in session though :-/

Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Derek_Stewart wrote:Hi,

What version of USB are you considering, as USC is becoming the standard, on PCs.
Good point, my modern devices are all probably 4+ years old and have the chunky 'original' USB.
Derek_Stewart wrote:What cables?
Whatever is required to connect the QL to a PC and transfer files over... I suppose a standard USB cable of some type would be easiest as they are widely available.
bwinkel67 wrote: I'm experimenting with inexpensive SD WiFi cards to try and create some sort of WiFi file service between a PC and a QL. I just got one to work with vDrive (another one didn't and I think, with help from Charles, it likely was because it didn't support SPI). I'm next looking to debug the interface to see if some coding could yield a way to access them and push file on them (the included software lets you do limited stuff like read and transfer files. Then I could also parse the MDV files that vDrive uses and make it seamless. First, however, I need to debug the interface to see what can be accessed. Posting video of part 1 on Saturday. It might take some time with school back in session though :-/
That sounds good too, but does of course require a vDrive. My vision is something as cheap as possible that requires no extra hardware. Probably pie in the sky though!

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

Chr$ wrote:
bwinkel67 wrote: I'm experimenting with inexpensive SD WiFi cards to try and create some sort of WiFi file service between a PC and a QL. [...]
That sounds good too, but does of course require a vDrive. My vision is something as cheap as possible that requires no extra hardware. Probably pie in the sky though!
Martyns QLAN-USB solution is the cheapest. As far as I know, Martyn plans no series production himself, so maybe you want to get in touch.
A more expensive, already tested solution is the Qzero. But it would be overpowered, and I'm reluctant to release it before I have a clearer picture which other use cases the Qzero should cover, and the work involved.

As for SD Wifi, I see two problems: Firstly it seems restricted to file exchange, while QLAN allows more general networking. Secondly, when using it with mass storage like QL-SD, it can only deal with containers, not actual QL files inside a container.

Back on topic: Currently a QL mainboard replacement leads the poll. That surprises me, as it involves opening the QL, removing the Original mainboard, tinkering with internal cables etc.

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

Peter wrote: As for SD Wifi, I see two problems: Firstly it seems restricted to file exchange, while QLAN allows more general networking. Secondly, when using it with mass storage like QL-SD, it can only deal with containers, not actual QL files inside a container.
Well, my overall plan would be to pierce into the container files and write a server end program that gives file access (maybe even drag and drop). I'd start with MDV first since that 's what I have via vDrive. If it were a 90's Mac I would have no problem starting it but unfortunately Windows is the only environment I haven't done a project from scratch (ironically I worked at Microsoft 10+ years ago and would add to the nightly compiles of Windows but that was a large make system and such a small part of the whole). Should be fun to learn that part...
Peter wrote: Back on topic: Currently a QL mainboard replacement leads the poll. That surprises me, as it involves opening the QL, removing the Original mainboard, tinkering with internal cables etc.
I didn't vote for that option but I can see how a clean board and internal improvements (i.e. like a standard power socket) has its appeal. The QL look is pretty nice and doesn't fit out of place today.

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Peter wrote: Back on topic: Currently a QL mainboard replacement leads the poll. That surprises me, as it involves opening the QL, removing the Original mainboard, tinkering with internal cables etc.

That poll looks to me rather like "everyone wants everything" ;)

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO