Target for major new QL hardware

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!

What is your preferred target for major new QL hardware?

Standalone machine (Q60/Q68 philosophy)
30%
QL extension slot plugin (GoldCard philosophy + graphics)
22%
QL mainboard replacement (Aurora philosophy + CPU/RAM)
29%
Miniaturized module for tinkering (Qzero philosophy*)
18%

Total votes: 76

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Target for major new QL hardware

Post by Peter »

Andrew wrote:In the end I would also be happy with a standalone machine, as long as it checks the (majority of) the specs and we can find a nice case for it, with a retro feeling.
That calls for the question what's wrong about the Q68? ;) Mainly the lack of a matrix keyboard interface?

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

Peter wrote:That calls for the question what's wrong about the Q68? ;) Mainly the lack of a matrix keyboard interface?
Nothing really - except for a suitable retro case. And life
I was on the point of ordering one in early spring when some unexpected things happened that required all my attention and my money :(
Then I was the happy winner of a couple of weeks vacation in hospital under suspicion of covid and some more weeks to get back on my feet and function properly again.
When things calmed down again the discussions about new motherboard/new system started - so I just postponed to see what other options will be out there.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Could the left hand side of the expansion be used for a range of extra sockets? USB, audio etc? Small screen to show mounted images? Nice space there to provide extra functionality.

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

vanpeebles wrote:Could the left hand side of the expansion be used for a range of extra sockets?
Which expansion? And for which machine?

If you refer to the Q68, a larger case would indeed allow to extend it on the left side.

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

Andrew wrote:
Peter wrote:That calls for the question what's wrong about the Q68? ;) Mainly the lack of a matrix keyboard interface?
Nothing really - except for a suitable retro case.
The looks of the Q68 case were meant to be as retro as an affordable metal case allows - black, with structures that resemble the QL somewhat. I know it is not perfect. But if better retro looks are so important, I wonder why nobody took the time to offer something else. Designing a case really does not require my head! I even published my drawings of front and back panels as starting point. The Q68 is available board-only, so there is no holding back. ;)

Even the original case would be a viable compromise, although not ideal, as soon as there is a matrix keyboard interface. It would require less tinkering than the Aurora after all.
Andrew wrote:When things calmed down again the discussions about new motherboard/new system started - so I just postponed to see what other options will be out there.
Don't let this discussion hold you back. The Q68 has become sort of a standard by now, the most widely used platform since the SuperGoldCard. It is unclear if I'll have enough time and motivation to publicly release a major new QL hardware again. Very likely not in the short term. Also, if there were news like cache, enhanced sound, etc. I will seek to offer an FPGA update for the Q68 as well.

bixio60
Brittle Membrane

Post by bixio60 »

Andrew wrote:When things calmed down again the discussions about new motherboard/new system started - so I just postponed to see what other options will be out there.
Peter wrote:Don't let this discussion hold you back. The Q68 has become sort of a standard by now, the most widely used platform since the SuperGoldCard. It is unclear if I'll have enough time and motivation to publicly release a major new QL hardware again. Very likely not in the short term. Also, if there were news like cache, enhanced sound, etc. I will seek to offer an FPGA update for the Q68 as well.
Hi,
Q68 is definitely the way forward, if you Peter have some time I vote for Q68 enhancements: Cache, sound, Network, possibility to update core.

Well, at the end I will buy every QL related expansion will be produced (waiting Tetroid new Aurora and Keyboard) :D (addicted) even if my ultimate dream is a new Q60 or a UltraXQ68......

Pity, i noticed that only 50 people voted to Poll for new hardware out of 700 members

Fabrizio

Peter
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Peter »

bixio60 wrote:Q68 is definitely the way forward, if you Peter have some time I vote for Q68 enhancements: Cache, sound, Network, possibility to update core.
As for network, there might be news soon. ;)
bixio60 wrote:Pity, i noticed that only 50 people voted to Poll for new hardware out of 700 members
This worries me also. But it could mean people are relatively happy with the Q68 and prefer emulation anyway, when they need more speed.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Peter wrote:
vanpeebles wrote:Could the left hand side of the expansion be used for a range of extra sockets?
Which expansion? And for which machine?

If you refer to the Q68, a larger case would indeed allow to extend it on the left side.
If you had a replacement motherboard for QL, you put all the extra sockets and bits down that edge to appear on that side of the case.

daniel_baum
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by daniel_baum »

bixio60 wrote: Q68 is definitely the way forward, if you Peter have some time I vote for Q68 enhancements: Cache, sound, Network, possibility to update core.

Pity, i noticed that only 50 people voted to Poll for new hardware out of 700 members
Hi all,

Here's my 2c, FWIW,

I have FOUR QL environments to play with - more than any other retro computer. I have QPC2, Q-Emulator, a Q68 and a Mister with Marcel's excellent new QL core. I do not own an original QL.

I really like the Q68, but as far as I am concerned, it is rather inconvenient, which means I use it less than the other environments. There are a couple of reasons for this:

1)It needs a special monitor and a special mouse and keyboard. Therefore it cannot be integrated into the rest of my environment. It is trivial to connect and disconnect my HDMI Monitor (with HDMI switcher) and USB hub from my PC laptop, Mister, Raspberry Pi (which I use for running RiscOS) and even my genuine Spectrum+ (with ZX-HD), but the Q68 cannot be part of this.

2) It is very simple to share .WIN files among the QPC, Q-Emulator and Mister. The Q68, again, is a bit of an outsider, because of the way it handles .WIN files.

Therefore, my idea of a perfect future hardware QL would be either:

a Q68 that is more easily integratable with modern hardware or,

an even more enhanced Mister core that equals or surpasses the Q68 in terms of graphics and sound.

There is a third option: I signed up for a Spectrum Next. Therefore a Spectrum Next QL core with all the bells and whistles would be close to a damn near perfect retro experience for me, given that the Spectrum Next keyboard is close to what an enhanced QL keyboard should be like.

Regards,

Daniel

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

A friend installed an Aurora, SGC, Minerva MK2 with I2C and Qubide Hard drive in a QL case and used the Aurora to QL Matrix circuit to use the QL Keyboard.

I posted pictures in the Aurora Somewhere thread:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1133&start=30#p24759

So maybe this has already been done.

Maybe a Q68 accelerator card for the QL is another option.

Regards,

Derek