Target for major new QL hardware

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!

What is your preferred target for major new QL hardware?

Standalone machine (Q60/Q68 philosophy)
30%
QL extension slot plugin (GoldCard philosophy + graphics)
22%
QL mainboard replacement (Aurora philosophy + CPU/RAM)
29%
Miniaturized module for tinkering (Qzero philosophy*)
18%

Total votes: 76

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Target for major new QL hardware

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Personally, I would want a faster CPU, more colours, high resolution Graphics, SD Card access, not a Romport device, as an expansion that can plugged into a standard QL.

Regards,

Derek
mhanias
Brittle Membrane

Post by mhanias »

QL mainboard replacement (Aurora philosophy + CPU/RAM)

Ruptor
Gold Card

Post by Ruptor »

I don't understand the need for hardware when the RPi and even the zero exist. It just needs software to make it fit your needs not necessarily using Linux. Perhaps replace the 68008 chip and have the RPi write to the QL interfaces. It could read the QL ROM at power on & not need to access it again while keeping the QL display RAM following the HDMI. I guess it is a lot of software work or is it just Pi in the sky. :lol:

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

Ruptor wrote:I don't understand the need for hardware when the RPi and even the zero exist.
For some mysterious reason, people here simply like hardware. ;) Hardware has 11550 posts on this forum and emulation only 1618 posts.

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

For me, the minimun upgrade requirements would be:
some more colors (not necessarily thousands)
some more CPU speed
some better sound (at least AY sound chip)

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Ruptor wrote:I don't understand the need for hardware when the RPi and even the zero exist. It just needs software to make it fit your needs not necessarily using Linux. Perhaps replace the 68008 chip and have the RPi write to the QL interfaces. It could read the QL ROM at power on & not need to access it again while keeping the QL display RAM following the HDMI. I guess it is a lot of software work or is it just Pi in the sky. :lol:
I doubt there is anyone who would want write a bare metal operating system that a QL would be able used.

The BBC micro has a Tube interface to use PI as a co-processor, maybe this the way to go and connect the PI to the QL like the Spectrum Next

Getting back on topic.... The QL case still looks nice, just needs an expansion to connect to modern display.

There was proposals for new issue of the QL board, but this seems to of stalled.

I did think about doing a Sound card, but that is another story...

Regards,

Derek
FrancoisLanciault
Trump Card

Post by FrancoisLanciault »

The original QL casing is cool, so I say lets keep it.

For me, having a GoldCard type board is the most appealing. You want better performance and graphics, plug your new board. You want to go back to the BareBonesQL experience, just remove the board.

However, if a plugin type board gets too limited by the QL interface for ay reason, then this is where a replacement motherboard, again installed in the original casing, is interesting.

Number of color should be something that already exist (Q40 16 bits or QPC 16bits or Aurora 8 bits)
As for speed, the Q68 was a notch faster than the SuperGold Card, it would be nice if a new solution would be another notch faster.

My two cents

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

FrancoisLanciault wrote:For me, having a GoldCard type board is the most appealing. You want better performance and graphics, plug your new board. You want to go back to the BareBonesQL experience, just remove the board.

However, if a plugin type board gets too limited by the QL interface for ay reason, then this is where a replacement motherboard, again installed in the original casing, is interesting.
I don't see significant limitations for a GoldCard type board. That's why I'm surprised that a mainboard replacement leads the poll.

Since the case openings are different for british and international QLs, a mainboard replacement has a problem getting the connectors out, among other disadvantages.

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

Peter wrote:
FrancoisLanciault wrote:For me, having a GoldCard type board is the most appealing. You want better performance and graphics, plug your new board. You want to go back to the BareBonesQL experience, just remove the board.
Or, just as simply: You want better performance and graphics, use your shiny new 4" by 2" sooper-dooper QL. You want to go back to the BareBonesQL experience, just dig your old QL out of the toy cupboard and let the sound of whirring microdrives wash over you.
<>
Peter wrote:I don't see significant limitations for a GoldCard type board. That's why I'm surprised that a mainboard replacement leads the poll.

Since the case openings are different for british and international QLs, a mainboard replacement has a problem getting the connectors out, among other disadvantages.
A compact QL successor with a fast CPU and/or fast 16 bit graphics with variable geometry, 128Mb memory and similar modcons to the Q68 would suit me fine. A good test for speed, to my mind, would be the ablility to move a window around the screen in mode 32/33 using WM_MOVEMODE 3, without noticeable lag.

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
mhanias
Brittle Membrane

Post by mhanias »

What about a MINI QL like the Mini C64 ?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Koch-Films-Gmb ... B0764BK6L1