Forum Announcement
QL Forum Birthday Bash (21st November 2020) - https://qlforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3489

BT Plugs for Joystick and Serial

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
User avatar
tofro
Font of All Knowledge
Posts: 2045
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:53 pm
Location: SW Germany

BT Plugs for Joystick and Serial

Postby tofro » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:44 am

Are these

https://www.comtecdirect.co.uk/product/ ... 31a/PG1115

the proper plugs?

I don't have my UK QL at hand, so can't check. The left hand ones are marked as "Clearance".


ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
User avatar
Chr$
Super Gold Card
Posts: 577
Joined: Mon May 27, 2019 10:03 am
Location: Sachsen, Germany

Re: BT Plugs for Joystick and Serial

Postby Chr$ » Tue Sep 08, 2020 9:42 am

A-type has the wrong keying groove (I think I read that they be adapted with a knife). W type is correct:

https://zxnet.co.uk/spectrum/btconnectors/

Also, those that begin with a 4 only have contacts for 4 wires.... perhaps that could also be changed by adding 2 contacts from another plug. Might be worth a try.


Collector of original and some newer QL related computers, accessories and software even though I don't understand how any of them work.
Original QL's: 3x German, 1x UK model (plus quite a bit of other old stuff and 100+ original software titles)
Custom AT cased QL system with Gold Card, Qimi mouse, Hermes and MFM HDD
PC with QXLII card installed
Q68 also present

Ask me about near NOS re-felted good quality Microdrive Carts - many available.
User avatar
Ruptor
Trump Card
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:23 pm

Re: BT Plugs for Joystick and Serial

Postby Ruptor » Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:39 am

Chr$ wrote:A-type has the wrong keying groove (I think I read that they be adapted with a knife). W type is correct:
This rang a bell so I looked at my 25 way RS232 leads I made many moons ago and I had scraped the plastic to make them fit. I will just add to the above that when looking at the back of the QL you need 6 connections with pins facing down and latch on the left for the serial ports but latch on the right for the two joysticks assuming I am not dyslexic.


User avatar
Pr0f
Super Gold Card
Posts: 679
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:54 am

Re: BT Plugs for Joystick and Serial

Postby Pr0f » Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:38 pm

Ruptor wrote:
Chr$ wrote:A-type has the wrong keying groove (I think I read that they be adapted with a knife). W type is correct:
This rang a bell so I looked at my 25 way RS232 leads I made many moons ago and I had scraped the plastic to make them fit. I will just add to the above that when looking at the back of the QL you need 6 connections with pins facing down and latch on the left for the serial ports but latch on the right for the two joysticks assuming I am not dyslexic.


spot on - well remembered :-)

I remember the joystick ones being hard enough to get in the 80's


Derek_Stewart
QL Wafer Drive
Posts: 1973
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Runcorn, Cheshire, UK

Re: BT Plugs for Joystick and Serial

Postby Derek_Stewart » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:57 am

Hi,

I have parts to make QL Jotick to DB9 cables, I will see if I can get these QL Joytick Cables made and posted for sale.


Regards,

Derek
martyn_hill
Super Gold Card
Posts: 575
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:53 am

Re: BT Plugs for Joystick and Serial

Postby martyn_hill » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:33 pm

Hi everyone!

I recently trawled the web looking for both these two BT-style plugs and found a reasonable-cost supplier of both.

I myself ordered a small batch of the QL Serial type (BT-631W) and inquired of the same supplier whether they could source the Joystick variety (BT-630W), which wasn't shown on their site at the time.

The supplier since confirmed availability of the 630W and has now added it to their website.

I'm not associated with this supplier in any way, though I was happy with their service myself - Derek and our other in-house hardware suppliers will have more experience/advice, but thought to share their details here:

BetterBox: https://www.betterbox.co.uk/
BT-631W (QL Serial) (part code CT6310): https://www.betterbox.co.uk/products/bt ... t6310.html - £1.95 exc. VAT
BT-630W (QL Joystick) (part code CT6300): https://www.betterbox.co.uk/products/bt-630w.html - £2.15 exc. VAT

M.


User avatar
Chr$
Super Gold Card
Posts: 577
Joined: Mon May 27, 2019 10:03 am
Location: Sachsen, Germany

Re: BT Plugs for Joystick and Serial

Postby Chr$ » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:57 pm

martyn_hill wrote:Hi everyone!

I recently trawled the web looking for both these two BT-style plugs and found a reasonable-cost supplier of both.

I myself ordered a small batch of the QL Serial type (BT-631W) and inquired of the same supplier whether they could source the Joystick variety (BT-630W), which wasn't shown on their site at the time.

The supplier since confirmed availability of the 630W and has now added it to their website.

I'm not associated with this supplier in any way, though I was happy with their service myself - Derek and our other in-house hardware suppliers will have more experience/advice, but thought to share their details here:

BetterBox: https://www.betterbox.co.uk/
BT-631W (QL Serial) (part code CT6310): https://www.betterbox.co.uk/products/bt ... t6310.html - £1.95 exc. VAT
BT-630W (QL Joystick) (part code CT6300): https://www.betterbox.co.uk/products/bt-630w.html - £2.15 exc. VAT

M.

Excellent. That is quite expensive though, isn't it (I feel). But with limited availability I suppose they can charge what they like.

Another related question, perhaps you know the answer: The crimping tools that are available for attaching wires to the BT type connectors are usually advertised as being for the 631/431 type plugs - they will handle plugs with either 6 or 4 connectors. Looking at pics of them, they appear to have spaces for the clicky tab on either side so can you (or someone else) confirm that the crimping tools advertised for 631/431 can be used with all types of plugs including the other-handed 630W/630A?


Collector of original and some newer QL related computers, accessories and software even though I don't understand how any of them work.
Original QL's: 3x German, 1x UK model (plus quite a bit of other old stuff and 100+ original software titles)
Custom AT cased QL system with Gold Card, Qimi mouse, Hermes and MFM HDD
PC with QXLII card installed
Q68 also present

Ask me about near NOS re-felted good quality Microdrive Carts - many available.
User avatar
Ruptor
Trump Card
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2019 2:23 pm

Re: BT Plugs for Joystick and Serial

Postby Ruptor » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:06 pm

When I looked at my RS232 leads I remembered I bought this
https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/3100 ... g%20bt630w
chopped the lead in half giving two ready crimped plugs and scraped the plastic to make the A type fit the W hole. I like a cheap botch. :lol:


martyn_hill
Super Gold Card
Posts: 575
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:53 am

Re: BT Plugs for Joystick and Serial

Postby martyn_hill » Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:37 pm

Hi Chr$ and Ruptor!

Chr$ wrote:Excellent. That is quite expensive though, isn't it (I feel). But with limited availability I suppose they can charge what they like.


Yes, expensive for what they are - one of the reasons I shared the details was the possibility that, if we as a community (via one of our dedicated hardware gurus) were to place a bulk order - satisfying our collective needs for the foreseeable future - we may be able to secure a much better price-point.

I picked-up 10 of each, just in case I never find another vendor for such EOL product-lines...

Chr$ wrote:Another related question, perhaps you know the answer: The crimping tools that are available for attaching wires to the BT type connectors are usually advertised as being for the 631/431 type plugs - they will handle plugs with either 6 or 4 connectors. Looking at pics of them, they appear to have spaces for the clicky tab on either side so can you (or someone else) confirm that the crimping tools advertised for 631/431 can be used with all types of plugs including the other-handed 630W/630A?


Not sure, but like you, suspect that the crimper will take both handed plugs...



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests