SPEM Digitiser V2.0

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

SPEM Digitiser V2.0

Post by Chr$ »

Here's an obscure bit of QL Hardware:- a SPEM Digitiser, V2.0 according to the PCB inside.
20200904_221658m.jpg
20200904_221741m.jpg
There is some software for it on Dilwyn's site called "LookShow_v2_13.zip". I've not tried it yet. I did find an article in QL World (Aug 1988 p26 onwards). The device has a ribbon connector for the QL ROM socket, a DIN plug for the monitor, a DIN socket for the QL monitor output and an RCA type plug for the video input (composite video I assume?).

Tips from anyone with experience using one or any other sources of further info gratefully received.

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Re: SPEM Digitiser V2.0

Post by Chr$ »

The software actually looks pretty self-explanatory, I suppose I'll connect it all up and simply give it a try with a video signal, perhaps a Spectrum (composite) video signal, and see what I can see.

Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

This is what the Spem Digitiser looks like inside.
20220120_144132.jpg
20220120_144209.jpg
On the right there is a secret black box daughter board attached to the PCB. It's innards have been completely sealed with epoxy.
20220120_143641.jpg
The wider ribbon connector connects to the QL ROM socket, but only has a few pins connected, namely: 5v, A14, ROMOEH, A15, D7, D6, GND, D1, D0, A0. No text appears on the F1/F2 screen to indicate an external ROM.

I connected it to a standard QL and after removing a solder bridge across the green and blue wires in the connector it seems to show the QL screen properly and the RGB adjustment sliders work. I was also able to switch to an external video source but the picture wasn't great. I'll try out the software soon.

RalfR
Aurora

Post by RalfR »

Without an EPROM with firmware, it can hardly print anything at start-up.

4E75 7000
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

RalfR wrote:Without an EPROM with firmware, it can hardly print anything at start-up.
I wondered if it might be an EPROM hidden in the secret box, but I suppose there aren't enough connections for it to be one.

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Chr$ wrote:
RalfR wrote:Without an EPROM with firmware, it can hardly print anything at start-up.
I wondered if it might be an EPROM hidden in the secret box, but I suppose there aren't enough connections for it to be one.
Yes, you need at the very least D0-D7, A0-A10 and ROMOE for a very small ROM.

Maskenlos
Over Heated PSU

Post by Maskenlos »

Hi Chris,

nice find! I like such old hardware.

Keep us updated whether its working or not.

Stephan

BSJR
Trump Card

Post by BSJR »

Chr$ wrote:The software actually looks pretty self-explanatory, I suppose I'll connect it all up and simply give it a try with a video signal, perhaps a Spectrum (composite) video signal, and see what I can see.
I remember from my analogue video days that while the Spectrum signal is fine for a direct feed to the monitor, it's not very stable when trying to catch it on a videotape. So you would be better of with a PAL signal with better sync pulses, from an old camera (VHS/DV) or the scart output of a mediabox.

BSJR