QL-SD

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!

Which QL-SD variant would you prefer

QL-SD ROM with one big SD sockets
31%
QL-SD ROM with two microSD sockets
44%
Internal QL-SD with microSD board
7%
Internal QL-SD with single SD board
18%

Total votes: 55

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: QL-SD

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Marcel,

Nice circuit board, are you going get the whole thing machine soldered, as manual soldering of over a 100 boards would be very tedious.

Regards,

Derek
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Derek_Stewart wrote:Hi Marcel,

Nice circuit board, are you going get the whole thing machine soldered, as manual soldering of over a 100 boards would be very tedious.
Of course. The bottom will all be machine soldered, the top may be hand soldered or not, we'll see. Hand-soldering would have the advantage that both Micro-SD and SD versions could easily be produced. Also, I still have literally hundreds of parts laying around ;) It mostly depends on the price increase really.

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Chr$ wrote:Looks great. Obviously I'll have one when ready. Just send the bits, I'll solder them on. I can also test with 2 UK QLs at the moment (and 3 German, but they're pretty much all the same).
I don't have the means to program the chips before they're soldered in. Also, next prototype batch will probably be pre-soldered anyway (all except the flash as the prototype service I use unfortunately doesn't carry that part).

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Ooooh. Someone slipped a 512K flash chip on there. Sneaky!

nikosdoykas
Over Heated PSU

Post by nikosdoykas »

can i make a question...
this versions(1&2) will be put on the rom port of the ql?
without any modification?? (internal)

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Dave wrote:Ooooh. Someone slipped a 512K flash chip on there. Sneaky!
Not at all, I said from the get-go that it will hold 8 complete OS ROMs, switchable by software ;)

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

nikosdoykas wrote:can i make a question...
this versions(1&2) will be put on the rom port of the ql?
without any modification?? (internal)
Yes, there are switches on it that can make it work in different configurations and that is one that is supported. But to get the most out of it one should remove the internal ROM chips as QL-SD can hold up to 8 different operating systems.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

It's so exciting to drop in and see so many exciting developments. Between Peter, you and Tetroid, everything is covered.

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

tofro wrote:I'm equipped with all the QL-SDs I will probably need for the rest of my life, so my vote probably shouldn't count, but:

I think the size of the SD cards used as storage is relatively irrelevant - All of the SD cards I recently bought were both sizes (Micro SDs in an adapter). Accepted it's a bit fiddly to find the mislaid adapter just when you need it, but more relevant is the internal/external and 1 slot/2 slot layout.

I'm have been experimenting with SDIO cards like the Toshiba FlashAir for some time now, giving QL-SD access to WLAN and peer-to-peer networking - Those can generally be had as large-size cards only, so must be kept in mind as well.

Tobias
So I purchased one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078G ... UTF8&psc=1

I was able to use it as a plain old SD card adapter in Windows 7. I was also able to connect via WiFi and see the files on there. What I couldn't get to work is for vDrive to properly recognize the adapter with a formatted and filled microSD card (I had used the same microSD card I used in a non-WiFi adapter and it worked in that). So there is some incompatibility. I will have to try it with my Q68 next.

Do you have any insight here? Is there different classes of SD cards/adapters that some devices can't recognize or is this ezShare adapter just doing something weird? Or is it vDrive?

lowrybt
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by lowrybt »

Any reason to think these will not be compatible with the JSU ROM/US Sinclair? Assuming they wii be compatible, I'm on board to buy the external version when it becomes available. Tom