Composite colour from PNP transistor?

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Ruptor
Gold Card

Composite colour from PNP transistor?

Post by Ruptor »

Hi TC
Technical-Chap wrote:As I do on all old British computers from the eighty's and early ninety's I put a simple PNP amp circuit, this gives a colour composite output on most machines, some need a bit more work or the signal inverting.
Can you elaborate on how you did this on a QL or give a picture. Does this allow you to attach it to a composite TV input perhaps video camera input or one of those SCART adapters?
Like this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RGB-Scart-to ... Sw35Be6JYz

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Re: Composite colour from PNP transistor?

Post by bwinkel67 »

You don't need to do that on the QL, as it already provides that on the RGB connector. For UK models it's pin 1 for PAL composite and pin 2 for GND. Note that the signal isn't any better than you get from RF though. However, if you grab pin 3 instead of pin 1 then you get monochrome composite and that signal is nice.
monitor connections.jpg
For ZX Spectrums a hack you can do is just grab the signal as it goes into the RF modulator (which you could also do for the QL). For the ZX81 you need to create a circuit that uses a NPN transistor to protect the Ferranti ULA as its output isn't enough to drive composite signal so you add a transistor and provide a 5v source to boost it (that may be what the other post was referring to):
2016-01-03-zx81-composite-video-circuit.gif
2016-01-03-zx81-composite-video-circuit.gif (2.13 KiB) Viewed 1783 times

Ruptor
Gold Card

Post by Ruptor »

bwinkel67 wrote:You don't need to do that on the QL, as it already provides that on the RGB connector.
The way TC was talking I thought the QL composite wasn't a standard PAL signal. Surely the signal before the modulator is much better than adding all the degradation of the RF signal processing especially through the old TV. My QL video plug is wired for a 20" tube RGB & sync monitor I had so I probably remember that as the quality of picture I last saw from the QL.

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

Ruptor wrote:The way TC was talking I thought the QL composite wasn't a standard PAL signal.
Nope, it gives a standard PAL signal, all you need is to create the cable.
Ruptor wrote:Surely the signal before the modulator is much better than adding all the degradation of the RF signal processing especially through the old TV. My QL video plug is wired for a 20" tube RGB & sync monitor I had so I probably remember that as the quality of picture I last saw from the QL.
I spend many hours and had lots of questions on this forum trying to figure out why I couldn't get a crisper color composite signal and the consensus I got from those that have played with it longer is that the QL color composite isn't going to get better. Now granted, the RF signal is actually pretty good so I'm not complaining, but the color composite just isn't that much better (at least that was for me and I'm in the US so maybe the US RF modulator just does a better job). That being said, the monochrome composite is a ton better, maybe because it doesn't have to deal with the interference needed to add color. But the color composite isn't bad it just has the usual artifacts (and with my RF being so good I was just disappointed it couldn't be better).

What I've found is that if I'm only hooking it to a color LCD TV then RF is fine. The composite comes in handy when using a projector or a digital TV that doesn't offer analog signals anymore...and the signal is slightly better but not a ton better (like the monochrome one is). I don't use old color CRT TV's anymore so perhaps they do a worse job with RF and so the composite could look much better -- that could the other variability.

Ruptor
Gold Card

Post by Ruptor »

bwinkel67 wrote:Nope, it gives a standard PAL signal, all you need is to create the cable.
Ok thanks that makes things easy. If you are in America how come you have Composite PAL colour output I thought I read US units only had monochrome. I suppose you might have an EU unit since monitors don't know where they are and sync to anything but I wonder if the 60 Hz instead of 50 Hz might make things worse.

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

Ruptor wrote:Ok thanks that makes things easy. If you are in America how come you have Composite PAL colour output I thought I read US units only had monochrome. I suppose you might have an EU unit since monitors don't know where they are and sync to anything but I wonder if the 60 Hz instead of 50 Hz might make things worse.
The US models do only have monochrome composite output on pin 3. For whatever reason, pin 1 just gives a 5 volt signal (no one has been able to answer why). I mod'ed mine to grab pin 9 off of the MC1377 chip to go to pin 1 with a switch so I only need one cable to give me both color and monochrome composite (otherwise you need two cables with one using pin 1 and one using pin 3) and I can switch between the two. I could have grabbed the signal right from the modulator but didn't think of it, but that signal comes from pin 9 of the chip so it ends up being the same. I did have to add a 47 ohm resistor to clean up the picture as the color was washed out otherwise (likely not the case had I grabbed it directly from the input of the RF modulator as I bet there was a resistor somewhere in place that cleaned things up--dunno). But my composite signal is the same as the RF now color-wise with maybe a tad less interference but with all the artifacts you get using composite color.

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

BTW, the one thing that makes a difference between the RF signal and the color (PAL) composite is length of cable. I can run 15+ feet of RCA cable, with multiple cables connected using bridge connectors on the composite with no degradation but that same setup adds a ton to the RF even when the cables are pretty good quality (and vice versa the composite is good even with crappy thin audio cables). I had to try that today for a project I was working on and the color RF signal had lots of distortions so if you are getting crappy RF shorten the cable to about 3 feet or less if you can and the picture will be close to composite.