Is it possible to power 2 standard QLs with a single PSU if...

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Is it possible to power 2 standard QLs with a single PSU if...

Post by tofro »

15V or 16VAC should be good - 12V is probably a bit on the low side - the 7812 regulating the +-12V are rated at 19V Vin, you should have at least 15V AC to reach that.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Chr$
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Chr$ »

Cristian wrote:Francois,
I might have a last spare PSU still available. It's handmade and provides more power (2.5 Ampere or more). I've sold 4 similar PSUs. A person asked for it years ago. I may ask that person: he might no longer be interested.
I think you should make a few of them Cristian, I think they'd find takers (I put you in contact with someone in Germany and I know he bought one). How much for the one you have left?

https://QXL.WIN
Collector of QL related computers, accessories and QL games/software.
Ask me about felt pads - I can cut them to size and they have proved excellent for mdv data recovery.
bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

FrancoisLanciault wrote:
Cristian wrote:Francois,
Sure I would be interested, however I am located in Canada, so it needs to be 110Volts... Also shipping consideration might make the final cost quite high compared to an home brewed solution.
François
I'm across the border in NH/MA. Let's design and build one for the 110 world using off-the-shelf PSU's. The 5 volt DC will be simple to find a cheap converter. Finding the 15 volt AC one will be trickier. There is a case that folks that built the Commodore 64 used that might work. The connector though is the problem. Need to find a 3 pin one that will fit in the almost square hole. I think someone, back in a post, suggested a common one that might fit.

BTW, if you flip the connector it won't necessarily fry your machine. I had to open up the actual connector as I had a broken wire and when I put it together I mirrored it and the machine wouldn't boot. After taking the motherboard out and checking everything I finally figured out my bonehead move and re-opened the plug and fixed it and now it works. BTW, if you cut the plug carefully, crazy-glue put it back together nicely. It bulges a bit in the middle since the wires were actually molded into the plug and there is no way to get them to follow those old lines -- oh I tried and in retrospect should have just cut out the excess material. But it's hardly noticeable and perhaps better than having and "empty" feeling plug.

The other option is to do what Tedroid did in his new design of the motherboard and just replace the plug with a more standard one...

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

If I see a mushroom cloud, I'll know what caused it! :lol:

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

Hmmm...assembly in US, test in Canada? :-)

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

Chr$ wrote:
Cristian wrote: I think you should make a few of them Cristian, I think they'd find takers (I put you in contact with someone in Germany and I know he bought one). How much for the one you have left?
Hi Chr$, yes I remember. Unfortunately the person who asked for the PSU is still interested. Makining them (and the connector) takes a significant amount of time... I'll try to get organized

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

Cristian wrote: Hi Chr$, yes I remember. Unfortunately the person who asked for the PSU is still interested. Makining them (and the connector) takes a significant amount of time... I'll try to get organized
Would it be easier to turn this into a DIY project and just post instructions w/recommended parts, etc...? I'd be interested esp in the connector and what you are using for it.