Extra ports...

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Brad
ROM Dongle

Extra ports...

Post by Brad »

So this QL I got has a couple of extra D9 sockets. A male at the left edge and a female next to the rf out. Any idea what they might be? Cheers

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: Extra ports...

Post by vanpeebles »

That does sound most interesting, you might have to take the top off and take some pics!

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

Brad wrote:So this QL I got has a couple of extra D9 sockets. A male at the left edge and a female next to the rf out. Any idea what they might be? Cheers
At a guess I would say this is a Minerva with I2C port on a DB9 and a QIMII interface out to a mouse port.

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

Lifting the lid is probably the only way you will know, but boot screen will tell you if you have Minerva - the qimi interface doesn't show up in the ROM banners as it's just a couple of I/O ports

Brad
ROM Dongle

Post by Brad »

No psu currently so can’t power on. I’ll lift the lid and photo the internals.

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Pr0f wrote:
Brad wrote:So this QL I got has a couple of extra D9 sockets. A male at the left edge and a female next to the rf out. Any idea what they might be? Cheers
At a guess I would say this is a Minerva with I2C port on a DB9 and a QIMII interface out to a mouse port.
Could as well be a SuperHermes, which also exposes 2 additional D9s (one High-speed serial, the other serial mouse).

You'll never know before you look under her skirt...

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

tofro wrote:
Pr0f wrote:
Could as well be a SuperHermes, which also exposes 2 additional D9s (one High-speed serial, the other serial mouse).

You'll never know before you look under her skirt...

Tobias
I thought about that, but he didn't mention any keyboard connector as an extra port - but as you say - visual inspection is the way forward :-)

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Pr0f wrote:
I thought about that, but he didn't mention any keyboard connector as an extra port - but as you say - visual inspection is the way forward :-)
My SuperHermeses don't expose the keyboard connector, as I figured the QLs that have it have working keyboards.....

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

tofro wrote:
Pr0f wrote:
My SuperHermeses don't expose the keyboard connector, as I figured the QLs that have it have working keyboards.....
Quite a few people run the SuperHermes with Aurora - where there isn't usually a QL keyboard. I did say in my first post 'At a guess' - and also indicated that looking inside would be the only way to know for sure - I feel like I am on trial dude....

Brad
ROM Dongle

Post by Brad »

I'll get some pics this afternoon, if only to put a halt to the witch trials!