RGB to Scart & Composite

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Ruptor
Gold Card

RGB to Scart & Composite

Post by Ruptor »

Is one of these adapters useful for hacking the QL RGB signal in to the middle and getting both SCART and composite video out?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-RGB-Sc ... 3849082186
I was thinking the QL output could be wired inside the adapter so it could be plugged in to a SCART and/or use composite video.

Andrew
Aurora

Re: RGB to Scart & Composite

Post by Andrew »

I am using an adaptor like that to get the composite out, to use it in a monitor that does not have SCART
I also use a second adaptor - a SCART female wired to composite and to a RGB 5 pin DIN. But SCART female connectors are very difficult to find (at least around here)

bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

Note that these adapters just do wiring so they use the signal that the QL RBG port already gives you. There is no logic that does any sort of conversion. I'm not really sure what the in/out switch does. Maybe it switches from scart-to-composite to s-video-to-composite??? Not sure if you can create a color s-video signal just using the pin outs from the QL. Also note that not all QL's are created equal (see below).

Here is a YouTube video of someone taking it apart:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yz9_HiHtIF4

For me in the US, there is no color composite from the RGB port, only monochrome composite where pin 3 is for monochrome and pin 2 for ground). For the US QL versions, pin 1, which is labeled as Pal composite, gives a constant 5 volt signal instead (I measured it) and doesn't work giving any sort of picture. I don't think Pal composite is a constant 5 volt signal.

Can any of the US QL'ers confirm this is the norm. I did see two other posters have similar issues (one was from Italy I think).

Ruptor
Gold Card

Post by Ruptor »

Andrew wrote:I also use a second adaptor - a SCART female wired to composite and to a RGB 5 pin DIN. But SCART female connectors are very difficult to find (at least around here)
The reason I suggested wiring the QL in to the above adapter was so that one would have the choice of plugging the SCART or composite in to the receiving display. Why do you have a female socket? All the displays or videos have female SCARTs so a plug is needed. :?

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

Ruptor wrote: Why do you have a female socket? All the displays or videos have female SCARTs so a plug is needed. :?
Not all displays have SCART.
I use the following displays:
1. SONY PVM1454-QM - RGB input with 4 BNC connectors (R, G, B, SYNC)
2. Commodore 1084 S-D1 - RGB input with DB9 connector
3. ITT mono monitor - composite input with RCA connector
4. Hitachi flat screen TV - RGB input with SCART input

So I used a female SCART connector to convert from the QL to SCART cable to BNC / RCA / DB9
The image using color composite on an old (2008) tube TV with composite RCA is much worse that using the RGB SCART on the same TV. So I use composite only for monochrome.

Ruptor
Gold Card

Post by Ruptor »

Andrew wrote:So I used a female SCART connector to convert from the QL to SCART cable to BNC / RCA / DB9
OK thank you, so you must be using a second standard plug to plug SCART.
Andrew wrote:The image using color composite on an old (2008) tube TV with composite RCA is much worse that using the RGB SCART on the same TV. So I use composite only for monochrome.
That's not an old TV mine is a 1987 14" Saisho portable. :lol: