RGB to VGA

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: RGB to VGA

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Cristan,

I get a Newsletter from SerdaShop, I found this quite interesting, except for the device is converting CGA/EGA/Hercules or MDA videocard to a VGA monitor.

They also, say, that it: It is also compatible with Commodore C128 TTL RGB output.

So maybe it might work with the QL, but remember the QL display has a overscan, which produces a larger display than most RGB outputs.

I will have a look at this more, the people at SerdaShop, do response to questions, and the design, is based on:

https://sites.google.com/site/tandycoco ... ega-to-vga

Regards,

Derek
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

That design seems to be pretty close to what Marcel does in QLVGA.

I would, however, assume that pixel clocks and counters (both horizontal and vertical) are different in the FPGA code, i.e. wouldn't work unmodified with the QL.

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
bwinkel67
QL Wafer Drive

Post by bwinkel67 »

I remember coming across this a while ago. I contacted the creator but never heard back. It's RBG to Component so not quite as good as VGA.

http://www.jrok.com/hardware/RGB.html

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

From the technical data I don't think it will work well with a QL. The clocks don't fit. And the output is a weird format as well. And even if it worked it's more expensive than QL-VGA is going to be.

The problem with QL-VGA at the moment is that DHL lost my shipment of FPGs. They were shipped successfully from China to Germany and now they are lost and there's not much I can do about it. So I ordered a quick replacement for testing in Spain, which the seller answered a few days later that he cannot find the chip anymore and cancelled the sale. Then I ordered a few more in China, which a week after still haven't shipped out yet! Today I will probably buy another one for a horrendous price in the US. Talk about annyoing.

Cristian
Aurora

Post by Cristian »

Derek_Stewart wrote:but remember the QL display has a overscan, which produces a larger display than most RGB outputs.
Yes it's true. Anyway, also a 20 € Gonbes board can (almost decently) cope with QL overscan. But yes, you're right: this may cause issues.