Microdrives dont spin or do anything

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
retro_collector
Brittle Membrane

Microdrives dont spin or do anything

Post by retro_collector »

Fixed my keyboard problem with new membrane but when I press F1 or F2 the QL launches but the micro drives do nothing and if I do DIR MDV1_ or 2 nothing happens and get error message "NOT FOUND

Also the VdriveQL the green LED lights but when you try to load and run BOOT you get "NOT FOUND" so it appears the Microdrive bus is an issue

Any ideas what to look for or check?

Help greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Bill

RWAP
RWAP Master

Re: Microdrives dont spin or do anything

Post by RWAP »

It sounds as though mdv1 may not be plugged into the motherboard properly - those 18 wire pins on the two flexible cables are a nightmare...

If mdv1_ is not properly connected, then mdv2_ and the vdrive will not work either...

Do you have the vMap (to allow the vDrive to work as mdv1_ )?

retro_collector
Brittle Membrane

Hi Rich,

Yes I do. Charlie told me to install it so that's next. I will post once I have it installed

Cheers!

Bill

Bloodnok
vDriveQL

Post by Bloodnok »

Hi Bill. As Rich has mentioned mdv1_ may be unplugged or faulty (or the 8302 ULA may be faulty -SellMyRetro still has spares). Best to just install the vMap as this provides independent addressing for the internal drives and the external bus. You'll be having to open the QL anyway so may as well install the vMap while you're there :-).

retro_collector
Brittle Membrane

Installed VMAP, did DIR MDV_3 it worked,  did LRUN MDV3_BOOT, it executed, did HELP, listed all the commands, did VINFO , now I can't access the drive anymore. I do LRUN MDV3_BOOT and the YELLOW LED TURNS RED and get not found.

I tried MDV1 and MDV2 before and MDV1_ LED doesn’t light and motor never spins, MDV2 DIR LED lights and motor spins but get NOT FOUND message

Should I beat my head against the wall?

Thanks!

Bill

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

I have been struggling for the past months to get the vDrive working on my QLs - I also tried beating the head against the wall, but it did not helped :D
Uninstall vMap and the 2 microdrive units then install a strap wire from pin 1 of unit's 1 connector on motherboard to unit's pin 2 (pin 1 is marked on motherboard for both connectors)
This will simply bypass the microdive data to the external connector, where you have attached your vDrive
Now the QL will see your vDrive as mdv1_ and (hopefully) you will be able to access it

retro_collector
Brittle Membrane

Andrew wrote: Uninstall vMap and the 2 microdrive units then install a strap wire from pin 1 of unit's 1 connector on motherboard to unit's pin 2 (pin 1 is marked on motherboard for both connectors)
This will simply bypass the microdive data to the external connector, where you have attached your vDrive
Now the QL will see your vDrive as mdv1_ and (hopefully) you will be able to access it
Andrew,

Pin 1 on MDV1 to Pin 2 on MDV2?

Cheers

Bill

Andrew
Aurora

Post by Andrew »

retro_collector wrote: Andrew,

Pin 1 on MDV1 to Pin 2 on MDV2?

Cheers

Bill
Yes, exactly

retro_collector
Brittle Membrane

Andrew,

I did what you said . I made the connection from MDV1 pin 1 to MDV2_ pin 2
IMG_4006.jpg
and I can access the Vdrive as MDV1_, I create and image but when I format the image I get bad or media changed media. I still access MDV1_ and load BOOT and do help but thats all
IMG_4007.jpg

Any ideas?

martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Hi Bill!

The fact that you can 'see' the 'VTKQL109' medium listed suggests that the vDrive is being correctly accessed - but as yet, does not recognise the SD Card.

If I recall correctly from the vDrive documentation and my own experience, vDrive will present a 'pseudo' MDV image containing only a boot program and the (optional) vDrive Toolkit with no SD-Card mounted (or recognised.)

If you you have successfully loaded that boot program and the Toolkit, then the QL to MDV interface is working correctly - and all that remains is to review the documentation to check that your SD-Card is initialised correctly. The card initialisation itself is carried out using the utilities commands as contained in that Toolkit.

Good luck - you are almost there!