Aurora

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
bixio60
Brittle Membrane

Aurora

Post by bixio60 »

Hi,
during my last conversation with Tetroid he told me he will be happy to consider to clone the Aurora Card, but not having one available for him that will be impossible.
May be someone of the readers will be happy to borrow one Aurora card to him, I did the same with my SuperGoldCard (After Cristian request... :) ), I sent my personal SGC to him in Russia to help him .
I don't have obviously any personal business with him, I cannot commit on anything, I just think that a new Aurora clone could benefit the QL Fan club :)
Moreover, Tetroid is really capable to deliver HW as proved in the recent past
Any volunteer ?

Fabrizio

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Re: Aurora

Post by Dave »

Well, I guess I better get off my ass and assemble these 22 Aurora I have here. I was holding off on them for as long as possible.

As for reverse engineering them, it might not be a good investment of time. Nasta has mentioned "Aurora II" a few times, too.

The Q68 beats the pants off the Aurora.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

No need to reverse engineer the Aurora, Nasta posted the PLD code, Schematic in GIF format on Yahoo QL Hardware forum.

I took a copy of the files, can be made available with Nasta's consent.

Regards,

Derek
Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

I agree with Dave that outside the original QL case, technical reasons for Aurora+(S)GC are hard to find. Still Aurora has a nostalgia value!

Also, for fairness, it should be added there is no Q68 matrix keyboard adaptor yet. This is where the Aurora has an advantage: It can be used inside the original QL case, although a lot of tinkering is needed for that.

A while ago, I was considering a "black case kit" for the Q68 with mounting plate, cables and adaptor. The Q68 would fit the black case relatively well, as it has the external connectors directly on the back.
However, I don't think such a kit will get priority this year. So whoever builds Aurora, should not feel too much in danger of Q68 "competition".

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I do not think there is any competion, personally I tend try and have everything.

I think I can say that this the case. But not much time use all the QL kit.

I have 3 Aurora boards with faults, all plug in chips test okay, the only thing I have not tested is the SMD ram chip.

Regards,

Derek
Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

Are you interested in selling a faulty one Derek ?