Help, connecting QL to BBS

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
afx
Trump Card

Help, connecting QL to BBS

Post by afx »

Hi guys.

Yesterday I received "Simulant - Retro Wifi SI (R2)". The package arrived perfectly

I have connected it correctly to my QL and I have configured the wifi connection. I am using QLTerm and the QL communicates perfectly with Simulant - Retro Wifi. But when I connect to a BBS (for example "amstrad.simulant.uk:464") I have a problem that I can't solve. The "welcome greeting" from the host is transmitted correctly, but when I type the login I get a "NO CARRIER" message and the connection with the host ends. This happens when the host is waiting for the login and I press a key on my QL. The same happens with other BBS.

Any ideas?

That is a screenshot.
QLTerm-SimulantRetroWifi.jpg

bixio60
Brittle Membrane

Re: Help, connecting QL to BBS

Post by bixio60 »

Hi,
even if I normally use QTPI, I tried with QLterm and it works well.

I suggest to use F3 to configure QLterm ---> Interface ---> ECHO Off ---> Buffered ---> SER2H ---> Baud(?) ----> None

If you digit ATI, are you connected to your router ? Can you see your IP address ?

Fabrizio
afx wrote:Hi guys.

Yesterday I received "Simulant - Retro Wifi SI (R2)". The package arrived perfectly

I have connected it correctly to my QL and I have configured the wifi connection. I am using QLTerm and the QL communicates perfectly with Simulant - Retro Wifi. But when I connect to a BBS (for example "amstrad.simulant.uk:464") I have a problem that I can't solve. The "welcome greeting" from the host is transmitted correctly, but when I type the login I get a "NO CARRIER" message and the connection with the host ends. This happens when the host is waiting for the login and I press a key on my QL. The same happens with other BBS.

Any ideas?

That is a screenshot.

QLTerm-SimulantRetroWifi.jpg

janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Post by janbredenbeek »

afx wrote: I have connected it correctly to my QL and I have configured the wifi connection. I am using QLTerm and the QL communicates perfectly with Simulant - Retro Wifi. But when I connect to a BBS (for example "amstrad.simulant.uk:464") I have a problem that I can't solve. The "welcome greeting" from the host is transmitted correctly, but when I type the login I get a "NO CARRIER" message and the connection with the host ends. This happens when the host is waiting for the login and I press a key on my QL. The same happens with other BBS.
You have set the Interface to MODAPTER. This only makes sense if you have connected your modem through a Modapter (a device produced by Miracle Systems back in the '80s to connect dumb 1200/75 baud modems to the QL's serial port so they could use the split baud rate). The serial output is modified in such a way that the electronics in the Modapter produce a 75 baud output signal.
If you have a modern intelligent modem or just a serial link, set Interface to Buffered. This uses an 8-bit transparent connection to the serial port.

Jan.

afx
Trump Card

Post by afx »

Hi bixio60, Jan. Thanks for the answers.

I have tried several configurations, QModem. Modaptor, Buffered; and I have also defined> "ECHO Off > Buffered > SER2H > Baud (1200) > None" in Interface menu but the result is always the same.

With the ATI and AT+CONFIG command I get the wifi router IP address.
QLTerm-SimulantRetroWifi-2.jpg
(What should I define in Flow Control, -in simulant retro-wifi config- ?

bixio60
Brittle Membrane

Post by bixio60 »

Hi,
I have also Flow Control Disabled.
I also tried, as you, to use my Huawei ( :o ) phone as tethering and it works perfectly.....I cannot replicate your problem.... i hope something will pop up in my brain
Are you using the BBQL? I am using Q68 or Q60 I never tried with QL.....when I have time I will test it

Can you try SER1H?

On my Q60 I had some problem to make the modem working with SER2, it works perfectly with SER1

Fabrizio

afx wrote:Hi bixio60, Jan. Thanks for the answers.

I have tried several configurations, QModem. Modaptor, Buffered; and I have also defined> "ECHO Off > Buffered > SER2H > Baud (1200) > None" in Interface menu but the result is always the same.

With the ATI and AT+CONFIG command I get the wifi router IP address.

QLTerm-SimulantRetroWifi-2.jpg

(What should I define in Flow Control, -in simulant retro-wifi config- ?

afx
Trump Card

Post by afx »

bixio60 wrote:I also tried, as you, to use my Huawei ( ) phone as tethering and it works perfectly....
Yes, work fine … ;) ….
bixio60 wrote:Are you using the BBQL? I am using Q68 or Q60 I never tried with QL.....when I have time I will test it Can you try SER1H?
Yes, I am using a BBQL (SuperGoldCard + QL-SD + Hermes). I haven't tested Ser1H because I don't have the right cable, my serial cable is adapted to ser2. (That serial cable does not work on ser1.) Could that be the problem?

About serial lead, for Ser1, would this be the right cable? https://www.sellmyretro.com/offer/detai ... -Lead-4186 …. And for Q68, what would be the correct cable? (I think a null modem cable does not work in this case).

Regards
Armando.

bixio60
Brittle Membrane

Post by bixio60 »

Unfortunately I cannot find anymore my old serial cable for BBQL ..... I need to buy another one. I found one on ebay that should fit.
As for the Q68, the WiFi modem is too big to fit into q68 ser1 socket without interfering with VGA cable, so you have to buy a simple straight DB9 (9 pin) serial cable M/F , you can find it on Amazon.

Fabrizio

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

It sounds like you're using the Hayes commands in command mode, not streaming mode.

From the manual:

Code: Select all

If you want to connect to a remote telnet server, eg coffeemud.net, port 23, you'll want to enter ATDT"coffeemud.net:23".  Don't forget to set your terminal program to the proper translation mode (ANSI, ASCII, or whatever).

If you are using a Commodore Graphics terminal program and want to connect to a Commodore BBS, eg cottonwoodbbs.dyndns.org port 6502, you'll want to enter ATD"cottonwoodbbs.dyndns.org:6502".

If you want to use Q-Link, you need to add a phone number alias first.  To do this, enter ATP"5551212=q-link.net:5190" or enter it from the config menu AT+CONFIG. From the C64 Q-Link client, select "Hayes compatible" 1200 baud modem when prompted.

If you want to run a Commodore BBS program using the modem, you'll want to configure the BBS program to the same idle baud rate that your modem is using (1200 baud by default), configure it for a Hayes style modem (or the C=1670), and either create a persistant listener using AT+CONFIG, or use an initialization string of "ATR0E0S0=1S41=1A6400" plus any other recommended settings from the BBS program. This creates a listener at port 6400 that switches directly to stream mode on the first ring, with no linefeed carriage returns, and no keystroke echo.  Your BBS program may require you add certain other settings, such as V0 or X1.. which you should also do.
More info including how to do a firmware update to the latest version here:

https://github.com/bozimmerman/Zimodem

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

When I used to run a BBS on a QL with Hermes through SER2 to a Hayes Modem, I did have users logging on to the BBS with a QL and the connection would drop after connection was made.

The solution was that the QL seems to ignore or does not use the DTR line, so putting D0 in the modem dialling string solved the problem at that time.

My BBS system had a dedicated telephone line, so logging onto the BBS via the second telephone line with a PC, Atari ST, Amiga seemed to woork, but with a QL, without the D0 in the dialling string, would not connect correctly.

I mainly used QTPI for QL comms, was more flexible and could use Zmodem for batch downloading.

Regards,

Derek
janbredenbeek
Super Gold Card

Post by janbredenbeek »

Derek_Stewart wrote: When I used to run a BBS on a QL with Hermes through SER2 to a Hayes Modem, I did have users logging on to the BBS with a QL and the connection would drop after connection was made.
The solution was that the QL seems to ignore or does not use the DTR line, so putting D0 in the modem dialling string solved the problem at that time.
The QL uses DTR for flow control rather than signalling that it's 'ready' for receiving data. It should really have been named 'RTS' as that is the proper line to control data flow (together with CTS from the modem for the opposite direction).

The proper use for DTR is to be set high (and stay high) when data communication is possible, and drop low when communication is to be terminated (usually resulting in the modem dropping the connection). As the QL port has no 'real' DTR line, the DTR input to the modem should be connected to pin 6 of the QL's RS232 port (+12V) or the modem must ignore DTR at all.

The practice of connecting 'DTR' from the QL to pin 20 on the DB-25 connector has been used on some serial printers, but for modems it was wrong. It should have been connected to pin 4 (RTS) instead. That said, most modems in use back in 1984/85 were of the 'dumb' type that didn't use any flow control at all, because the data rate at the serial port was the same as the line speed. That changed with intelligent ('Hayes compatible') modems which usually had fixed speed on the port, irrespective of the line speed.

The lack of a 'real' DTR line was also a bit of a challenge when running a BBS, as dropping the connection from the QL was only possible using 'in-band signalling' (sending '+++' then ATH0 to the modem), one of the reasons for me to develop the 'SER3' interface.

Jan.