RGB to SCART Video * solved *

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
genetika
Over Heated PSU

RGB to SCART Video * solved *

Post by genetika »

Hi.
I'm using an RGB to SCART video.

If I launch the QUILL application I see the pefect picture,
but before executing QUILL I'm not able to see three characters on the left
of the monitor/tv.

Is it normal?

Thanks!
M.
Last edited by genetika on Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew
Aurora

Re: RGB to SCART Video

Post by Andrew »

It's normal. QL uses overscan, so all TVs are loosing a few chars left and right. (On my Hitachi 24HB4C05 TV I only loose 7 pixels left and right - and so far this is the best TV I have seen for using with a QL )
That is why in monitor mode the QL has 85 columns, while in TV mode only 74.
Quill is just not using the full width of the monitor and that is why you can see the whole pic.

genetika
Over Heated PSU

Re: RGB to SCART Video

Post by genetika »

Solved with a scaler ! :P
Attachments
6371BA48-381B-4325-842F-E4C176CC0046.jpeg
966C82A7-299C-41B9-AC6C-F584B5F858E6.jpeg
49094A98-D21F-4069-A97E-711AAE9BB628.jpeg

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Re: RGB to SCART Video * solved *

Post by Dave »

Some people are ok with scalers. Others find them too fuzzy.

A matter of personal preference.

stephen_usher
Gold Card

Post by stephen_usher »

Those cheap scalers are OK, though it depends upon the TV as to whether they will display the extra characters, most don't.

As for scalers being "fuzzy", well the cheap ones (which are really designed for video) do rubbish interpolation and also erroneously sharpen the image, so they don't look very good.

If you try and OSSC, which does cost a lot more but is worth it, it's better than you'd get with a TTL RGB display.

e.g.
IMG_1201.jpg

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

I have tried OSSC.

The picture I get with a cheap Chinese scaler on a cheap Chinese PC is way better than from OSSC together with an expensive NEC Multisync - So your mileage may vary.

It is, however, a bit of a lucky game with the Chinese scalers whether you get them to work properly with your specific QL and your specific TV. I have found that cheap TVs are much more tolerant to weird HDMI monitor signals the scalers make out of the QL signal.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
stephen_usher
Gold Card

Post by stephen_usher »

tofro wrote:I have tried OSSC.

The picture I get with a cheap Chinese scaler on a cheap Chinese PC is way better than from OSSC together with an expensive NEC Multisync - So your mileage may vary.

It is, however, a bit of a lucky game with the Chinese scalers whether you get them to work properly with your specific QL and your specific TV. I have found that cheap TVs are much more tolerant to weird HDMI monitor signals the scalers make out of the QL signal.

Tobias
Erm, why would you ever use and OSSC with a MultiSync monitor?! It's designed to use HDMI to a TV. (That image was on a Curry's own brand FullHD LCD TV.) Of course, it depends upon your OSSC settings, the defaults don't digitise at double the pixel clock so you still get aliasing of the pixels and fuzziness and allowing passthrough output hands the upscaling to the TV/Monitor, which is usually hopeless.

I've got some of those convertors. They work but they are laggy as hell, so don't try to play games on them, and it's up to the TV to upscale, so if the TV does a good job you're OK. Also they merely detect the dot clock, digitise, fudge the de-interlace and send that information over the HDMI link and you hope the TV can handle it. They're not intelligent.

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

tofro wrote:The picture I get with a cheap Chinese scaler on a cheap Chinese PC is way better than from OSSC together with an expensive NEC Multisync - So your mileage may vary.
Do you mean Chinese TV?

I'm about to try a cheap 15" Chinese Monitor (VGA / AV / HDMI) with 1024x768 soon - that would be ideal for the QL, because pixels could scale directly and it has the traditional 4:3 format.

If it does not work, it should still be fine for Q68 - no scaling at all.

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Peter wrote:
tofro wrote:The picture I get with a cheap Chinese scaler on a cheap Chinese PC is way better than from OSSC together with an expensive NEC Multisync - So your mileage may vary.
Do you mean Chinese TV?
Erm, yes :oops:

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

stephen_usher wrote:If you try and OSSC, which does cost a lot more but is worth it, it's better than you'd get with a TTL RGB display.
That would be a magical transformation indeed. Even higher fidelity than the original.