Issue 8 discussions...

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Re: Issue 8 discussions...

Post by Dave »

It would support the internal QL-SD, or Tetroid's new external QL-SD fitted externally or internally.

That said, I haven't done any work on it in 8 months and I'm not likely to for the near future. I haven't talked with Nasta for a while, and he is central to the project. I really need to send him some vintage tubes and suspect he has little incentive to help me until I do. (Sorry Nasta. Life has gotten in the way.) Mostly, I'd like to get the 4 meg card out (it's practically finished) and redo it with a different CPU package.

Honestly, I have seriously considered just stopping QL activity completely. It is only the infectious enthusiasm of Peter, Tetroid, Nasta and TJ that has kept me even reading this forum.

Mostly, though, my health issues have made me basically not functional as a human being. I have been making 6502 memory savers, and am debating selling off my *vast* stock of components to raise the money to send Nasta his tubes.

SinclairSociety
Trump Card

Post by SinclairSociety »

Sorry about your health issues Dave. Never a fun thing to deal with. Too bad I did not live near you to come over and help cheer you on.

I did meet Tim Swenson couple weeks back. That was fun.

Maybe at some point if I make it to Texas I will come say hello.

TJ
Dave wrote:It would support the internal QL-SD, or Tetroid's new external QL-SD fitted externally or internally.

That said, I haven't done any work on it in 8 months and I'm not likely to for the near future. I haven't talked with Nasta for a while, and he is central to the project. I really need to send him some vintage tubes and suspect he has little incentive to help me until I do. (Sorry Nasta. Life has gotten in the way.) Mostly, I'd like to get the 4 meg card out (it's practically finished) and redo it with a different CPU package.

Honestly, I have seriously considered just stopping QL activity completely. It is only the infectious enthusiasm of Peter, Tetroid, Nasta and TJ that has kept me even reading this forum.

Mostly, though, my health issues have made me basically not functional as a human being. I have been making 6502 memory savers, and am debating selling off my *vast* stock of components to raise the money to send Nasta his tubes.

Sinclair Computers are AWESOME!!
Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

Dave wrote:It would support the internal QL-SD, or Tetroid's new external QL-SD fitted externally or internally.

I know that feeling, I got diagnosed with high blood pressure, type 2 Diabetes, and have avoided stomach / osophagus cancer due to early diagnosis, and on Tuesday last week I woke up with Bells Palsey - so my enjoyment of Christmas dinner is going to be a challenge. It is hard work getting focussed on projects - I have too many on the go, but hopefully with Christmas off this year I may get some time to dedicate to it. The Day job just gets in the way now ;-)

you've done great work on that Issue 8 - keep going with it Dave. Hope your life and health issues can be sorted... :)

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Get well soon, gents, and best wishes to you both.

I'm suffering slightly at the moment and have monthly visits to our local hospital for treatment. Nothing serious but this getting old thing is a right pain in the backside! (No, that's not my problem!)

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
QLvsJAGUAR
Gold Card

Post by QLvsJAGUAR »

Dave wrote:Mostly, though, my health issues have made me basically not functional as a human being..
Dave, get well soon! Have had a cold for almost a week now (today is the first day of feeling better), with heavy muscle pain and headache, I know what it is about "not functional as a human being".

QL forever!
https://www.sinclairql.net/ - Go and get THE DISTRIBUTION & QL/E!
https://www.youtube.com/QLvsJAGUAR/community - Blog
https://www.youtube.com/QLvsJAGUAR - Dedicated QL videos
Sinclair, QL, ATARI, JAGUAR, NUON, APPLE, NeXT, MiST & much more...
Videos, pictures & information
Nasta
Gold Card

Post by Nasta »

Well, I have a few minutes to write here, so here goes:

I have all but dropped out of the project for a while because job stuff interfered. Unlike most other jobs, my (now ex-)job comes 'into season' during summer and especially in August and September, but as other co-operants are involved which usually take holidays during August, something is always running late and happening at the last minute. This year the local big HiFi show was moved a month early to November, and this is part of the job.

Well, post-show stuff just started to get sorted out and I got an offer for a new job. It's a long story, but anyway, from the beginning of this month I have a new job. The only thing is I sort of traded one job for 3, where one of the 3 is the old one. I was supposed to be a consultant for the new workplace regarding a research grant that has to do with power quality in data centers (aside: it's shockingly horrible), but since the old company moved into different business it was more feasible for me to move jobs and consult for the old company. But, as it happens, there was no actual placement available until the start of this month, which is formally a facility engineer in the mentioned data center, which is it's own job - so that's two. And then, since I was basically the audio part of the previous company, the owner decided to sell that part of it, and he ended up selling it to my new boss who was also one of our larger customers - and with outstanding orders, so that's job number 3.

This all got sorted out within perhaps 3 weeks including the transfer of business and me having to come in to the new place while the guy that I am replacing was still there so I can pick up where he left off. Fortunately not all of it starts all at once so I am hoping for things to stabilize... So, it's about getting used to actually traveling some 45km each way to the job which is 9 to 5, Monday to Friday, instead of having your workplace some 4.5m away from where you sleep which also results in work being from when you wake up to when you can't keep your eyes open any more :)

When things do stabilize, I hope to be back.
Also, GALS for the 4M board are done and I will try to get the files to Dave as soon as I can do the last check on them.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Nasta,

You do sound like me, 6 years ago, I was travelling 100 miles to work, it does wear you down.

I took a way out when the company wanted volantary redundancies and an early retirement. Life is much simplier now, I get the same money for sitting at home than working.

Also this gave me the oppertunity to produce the Q68 and repair other computer systems.

If there is anything I can do to help with the Issue 8 board let me know.

Regards,

Derek
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

It's just been manic and tough all round.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Nasta wrote:Also, GALS for the 4M board are done and I will try to get the files to Dave as soon as I can do the last check on them.
This excites me more than anyone can know.

The 4M RAM card is useful for any QL, and would be a wonderful companion to Tetroid's new Tx board.

Tetroid's new multi-expansion card overlaps my SQBv4 quite greatly (though I suspect the v4 is superior on a few ways) so they're really an either/or choice.

Anyhow, when I do find my spark for this year (my enthusiasm is rising daily) I have a smaller group of things to work on, which allows me to be far more focused.

I might even be productive this year.

Nasta
Gold Card

Post by Nasta »

I discovered a small error in the schematic, the /BGACK line on the CPU must be connected to +5V instead of /BG (corrected on the schematic).
The rest should be fine and accept the GAL code I prepared.