F-keys

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
dilwyn
Mr QL

F-keys

Post by dilwyn »

QL systems normally make extensive use of the function keys (F1-F5, and F6 onwards on emulators). Modern laptops tend to come supplied with an 'fn' key which you have to press to get F1 to F12 (the 'function' keys having been promoted to multimedia keys such as volume up/down, track skip and so on.

It was annoying having to remember to press Fn+F1 to get F1 in QPC2, for example.

Someone asked me the same question so I decided to give up moaning and see there was a setting (shock horror!) for this.

Some laptops have a 'padlock' symbol on the ESC key. Fn+padlock key toggles whether the function keys are F1-F12 or multimedia special action keys. Mine doesn't.

Some manufacturers put the option to toggle between F keys and Special Action keys in Mobility Centre (right click START button). Mine doesn't.

But... on Windows 10 laptops like mine (HP) you might find a toggle in the BIOS or UEFI settings which lets you toggle this setting, but due to the way Windows 10 starts up, it can be hard to know how to get to the BIOS. Here's how it works on mine in case it helps anyone else frustrated by the "lack" of F keys.

1. Goto Settings
2. Update & Security
3. Select Recovery in left menu
4. Click "restart now" under Advanced Startup. The computer will reboot to a special menu.
5. Click Troubleshoot
6. Click Advanced Options
7. Select UEFI Firmware settings. If you don't see this icon, then press Startup Settings instead.
8. Click Restart
8. When the PC is restarting press F1 or F2 or whichever key is required to access the BIOS on startup. Some, like my HP laptop, offer a short menu listing which key accesses what.

You may have to explore where in the BIOS screen the Toggle Special Action/Fn Keys option is located and the exact method of changing this section may vary in different BIOSes. Once the setting is found on mine, it tells you to press F5 or F6 to adjust the setting, then you can press F9 or F10 to save and exit.

So now, since I use F1 to F12 more than the multimedia and special action keys, these keys work the way I want them to.