QLSD driver testers sought

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Re: QLSD driver testers sought

Post by mk79 »

martyn_hill wrote:I was careful to copy single WIN files across to the SD card one at a time following a fresh format, but will try this step again - possibly unmounting/remounting the card in between each copy (knowing how WIndows loves to cache writes...)
This evening I had some time to try it myself and what can I say, you found a bug :-) WIN_CHECK doesn't work correctly for everything other than WIN1, basically. I will release a fix soon, thanks!
Might be time for a documentation update :-)
Yes, this is already a work in progress ;) I've spent some time updating the QL-SD docu the last few days. Of course there is also Wolfgang's existing driver documentation, it would have made sense to include that into my ZIP file at least...
As far as further v1.05 driver testing goes, do you have any other specific activities in mind that are most likely to uncover residual bugs or strange edge-case behaviour?
No, not really. It should be more or less like 1.04, just that there is the new API vectors and that the "QLSD is in use" flag moved into the system variables. I just want to know if it works in everyday usage or even under some more stress, but nothing specifically.
I'm pretty confident from what I've tested so far that this driver is at least as reliable as WL's original (itself, seemingly more stable than when QubIDE images were used.)
A lot more stable, fortunately :)

Thanks again for your efforts, Marcel

MartynHill
ROM Dongle

Post by MartynHill »

Thanks Marcel - yeah - before reading your last reply, I tried copying again, this time unmounting/remounting the SD card in Windows between each copy and received the same curious results from WIN_CHECK, so that mirrors your assessment :-)

Thank you for continuing to develop this terrific driver :-)

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

I have now uploaded version 1.06 to https://www.kilgus.net/soft/qlsd106_bin.zip

This fixed WIN_CHECK and as I have a bit of space left in the ROM also changes the default container names:

WIN1: QXL.WIN (card1)
WIN2: QXL.WIN (card2)
WIN3..8: QXL3.WIN, QXL4.WIN, QXL5.WIN... (card1)

Cheers, Marcel

martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Terrific Marcel!

I'll test this myself over the weekend.

Can't fault your rapid maintenance release-cycle!

m.

afx
Trump Card

Post by afx »

Hi mk79.

I have tried the new driver with MiST, everything works correctly, the win1_ unit is recognized.

But I have a problem, when I try load TK2 (ram version), the system crashes. This does not happen with original version.

After loading the new driver I execute this:

Code: Select all

base=RESPR(16384):LBYTES win1_TK2_rom,base:CALL base+PEEK_W(base+6)

What could be the problem?

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Thanks for trying! Two questions, which version of TK2 do you load and which driver version is the „original“ for you, do you mean 1.04?

Cheers, Marcel

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

afx wrote:But I have a problem, when I try load TK2 (ram version), the system crashes. This does not happen with original version.

After loading the new driver I execute this:

base=RESPR(16384):LBYTES win1_TK2_rom,base:CALL base+PEEK_W(base+6)
By the way, if you're calling it this way then it's not the RAM version! This is however how you would call the ROM version. Could you clarify?

Marcel

afx
Trump Card

Post by afx »

mk79 wrote:.. which version of TK2 do you load and which driver version is the „original“ for you, do you mean 1.04?
Yes, sorry, the "original version" expression is quite ambiguous. On my MiST machine, I use ql-sd driver version 0.07.078. Specifically I use minerva+qlsd_ql.rom in this site (https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-bina ... r/cores/ql).
mk79 wrote:By the way, if you're calling it this way then it's not the RAM version! This is however how you would call the ROM version. Could you clarify?
Sure enough, I'm loading a ROM version (I expressed it wrongly in my previous post)

I'm not sure about the TK2 specific version I'm using. How can I know that? Is there a command that returns the TK2 version?. (I am using a TK2 ROM version distributed with Paul Veltjens QL-SD edition, in "QL-SD Starter Pack").

This is the rom file that I load in my MiST.
tk2_rom.zip
(12.7 KiB) Downloaded 130 times

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

afx wrote:I'm not sure about the TK2 specific version I'm using. How can I know that? Is there a command that returns the TK2 version?.
You can see it when you load it into any editor. In your case you have 2.12.

Unfortunately I cannot reproduce the behaviour, not with a BBQL nor with the SGC. So far the only people that have problems with the driver are MIST owners and it's difficult to debug without one.

One shot into the blue if you want to try it:

Download QMON from https://www.kilgus.net/soft/qmon218.zip. Load it using

q=RESPR(14000)
LBYTES win1_qmon,q
call q
qmon
before trying to load TK2. You will get a "Qmon>" prompt. Just enter "g" the first time. Then proceed to load TK2. In case of a crash the Qmon-prompt should appear again. Enter "d2 (a7)", make a screenshot of the result and post it here.

Cheers, Marcel

afx
Trump Card

Post by afx »

Hi Marcel.

I tried using qmon, but the system also crashes when I execute those instructions.

Another problem in the MiST is the "bad medium" message when I load some programs. The .win container is correct because I can use the same programs with QPC2 and Q68. In conclusion, for now, I will forget MiST.

I have a Paul/Peter QL-SD version, how can I install the new driver there? I have read that it requires a chip update, but I do not have the skills to do that. What is the availability and cost for this service? ( ….. Or …. will the new upgraded units be available soon? ;) ).

Best regards.