QLSD driver testers sought

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Re: QLSD driver testers sought

Post by mk79 »

bixio60 wrote:I tried also the MiST version and it works (apparently) perfectly, how you did the MiST version? It is a simple union of Minerva rom and the driver or what else?
The MiST FPGA has no direct connection to the SD card, it only sees an SD emulation done by the ARM processor. Unfortunately the emulation is not very good, it doesn‘t do multi-sector transfers, for example, which my version of the driver uses. The MiST version simply has multi-sector support disabled on the DV3 level.
Was you able to test it directly with the mist ?
No, I don‘t own a MiST, but several people have tested it now.
What is for the version with the 'g' in the name ?
German.

Marcel

tetroid
Over Heated PSU

Post by tetroid »

I have interesting problem with QL-SD and Trumpcard and Gold card.
I use Minerva_1.98_io_fix_qlsd107.bin ROM.

If floppy disk present in floppy drive during the QL-SD + Trump card starting screen, I try
dir win1_ and see "not found" message. I cant see win1_ drive, only flp1_.

If floppy disk didnt present in floppy drive during the QL-SD + Trump card starting screen, I can see files on win1_. Then I insert floppy disk and see flp1_ and win1_.

This problem is same for Trump card ( TDI clone ) and Gold card ( clone ).

Can anybody check this on your system ?

I still have my QL items still available, anyone interested, please contact me at tetroid@inbox.ru
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

QLSD driver testers sought

Post by mk79 »

Both the FLP and the new WIN driver feature auto-boot, meaning they will rename themselves to MDV if a medium is found on boot so that they are addressed when QDOS tries to load mdv1_boot. Afterwards they rename themselves back.

Now, if the FLP driver is accessed first however the WIN driver has no chance to rename itself back, you will find that it will react to MDV1 once and then is available as WIN again.

Cheers, Marcel

martyn_hill
Aurora

Post by martyn_hill »

Hi Tetroid

I too was stumped by this behaviour a while ago, until it was explained in another thread :-)

For this reason, I often include a WIN_USE 'win' in the BOOT file that is run from any medium other than WIN (FLP or else a virtual ROM 'BOOT' device that I use some on of my QL units.)

In fact, i believe that if you boot instead from WIN, it would be equally necessary to invoke FLP_USE 'flp' in the WIN BOOT file - to re-instate the FLP driver under its own name.

M.

tetroid
Over Heated PSU

Post by tetroid »

Thank you very much.

Yes.

dir mdv1_
dir win1_

and win1_ works now.

I have another strange problem with Gold card, but possible problem in CPLD code incompatible with GC.
If i copy large file ( 600Kb approx ) from win1_ to flp1_ : file seems to be copyed first time.
I see this file by dir flp1_
But after reboot ( reset the QL ) I see nothing - no file on flp1_
Very strange problem.

I still have my QL items still available, anyone interested, please contact me at tetroid@inbox.ru
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Doesn‘t sound like a QL-SD problem to me if FLP is the device that „forgets“ the data.
It sounds like what could happen if the floppy is write protected, but then you‘d hear some yodeling from the QL speakers. Most drivers will NOT generate a visible error in this case because the write is asynchronous and the write function has already finished at this point.

tetroid
Over Heated PSU

Post by tetroid »

mk79 wrote:Doesn‘t sound like a QL-SD problem to me if FLP is the device that „forgets“ the data.
It sounds like what could happen if the floppy is write protected, but then you‘d hear some yodeling from the QL speakers. Most drivers will NOT generate a visible error in this case because the write is asynchronous and the write function has already finished at this point.
Thank you.

Yes, I really hear some yodeling. May be floppy drive problem. I will check or change the floppy drive.

M68008
Trump Card

Post by M68008 »

(Weird) question: would QL-SD work on an unexpanded QL with a JS rather than Minerva OS on the QL-SD EPROM?

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Yes, that would work, but generally the disk size is very limited on an unexpanded QL and thus it‘s not exactly recommended.

M68008
Trump Card

Post by M68008 »

What is the price?