Issues and questions.

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
flaviosr
ROM Dongle

Issues and questions.

Post by flaviosr »

Hello again to All,

as I wrote in my presentation (I am new to this forum) I bought a Sinclair QL and I am now trying to restore him to full life!
I have some questions/issues:
° I would like to connect the QL to a modern MONITOR (VGA, DVI, HDMI...)... the only way I found is to buy a RGBtoSCART cable, than I found a SCART switch with yellow RCA and finally use a box to upscale RCA to VGA!!! A nightmare (I am now waiting for the switch) => do you know about a better solution? female SCART to VGA (I have not been able to find)? QL RGB to VGA? And give me some links...?
° I also checked the image with a modern LED TV (wht the RGBtoSCART cable) and the quality is more than excellent BUT... when in the monitor visualization (F1) I miss two columns on the left!!! For example if I type 12345 I only see 345 and so on!!! Is there a solution? I tried in a Samsung fullHD TV and in a LG fullHD TV.
° MDV1_ is not working! :( Have I understood right and I can buy a MDV2_ and mechanically mount in the place of MDV1_? I cannot find around MDV1_s! :(
° last but not least: I was trying to load Psion programs to check the QL but I receive a strange error (the same for all programs), "at line 8 not found". I have searched over the net but I did not find anything! I suppose it could be related to the not working MDV1_... can somebody explain?

For the rest I hope the QL is fully working! :)

Thank you for your help

jivrt
Chuggy Microdrive

Re: Issues and questions.

Post by jivrt »

Best way I found

RGB to SCART (QL edition)
https://www.retrocomputershack.com/PDF/QL-Scart.pdf

plus

http://www.js-technology.com/store/prod ... product=12
Convert RGB SCART and SCART to a VGA PC type signal.
Ask for the QL mod

Must have a TV or monitor that accepts at least 50 hz VGA

or if not sure about that

SCART to hdmi upscaler
https://www.amazon.com/CiBest-Converter ... hdmi&psc=1

Good luck

Original BBQL 1985, bought my me in Spain with JM ROM
Tetroid TDI with CF card, ROM switcher, power regulator, Gold Card clone and Backplane
Uses: teaching my children to program
RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

flaviosr wrote: ° I also checked the image with a modern LED TV (wht the RGBtoSCART cable) and the quality is more than excellent BUT... when in the monitor visualization (F1) I miss two columns on the left!!! For example if I type 12345 I only see 345 and so on!!! Is there a solution? I tried in a Samsung fullHD TV and in a LG fullHD TV.
Unfortunately, most TVs still require you to start the QL in TV mode - you lose 16 pixels at each end of the line and 16 pixels at the bottom of the screen....
° MDV1_ is not working! :( Have I understood right and I can buy a MDV2_ and mechanically mount in the place of MDV1_? I cannot find around MDV1_s! :(
° last but not least: I was trying to load Psion programs to check the QL but I receive a strange error (the same for all programs), "at line 8 not found". I have searched over the net but I did not find anything! I suppose it could be related to the not working MDV1_... can somebody explain?
You can indeed use an mdv2 unit as mdv1 - the only difference is the small heatsink which fits onto the microdrive ULA on mdv1.

However, before replacing mdv1_ - why is it not working? Is it not spinning at all, or could it be something simple, such as the tape heads need cleaning or the small rubber roller on the left hand side has moved up the metal shaft (there should be a gap of no more than 0.5mm under the bottom of the roller - push it down against a thin screwdriver to get this). You might also find turning the roller upside down helps (as the top half tends to get worn).

At line 8 not found..... If you are trying to load the programs from mdv2_ that will explain the issue, because the boot program tries to load a logo (LBYTES mdv1_logo, xxxxxx) and the main program (EXEC_W mdv1_Quill) from mdv1_

Code: Select all

LIST
will show you the SuperBASIC program loaded in memory so that you can see the code on line 8.

It could also be that your microdrive cartridges are corrupt - do they have new felt pads? If not - the old felt pads might be worn and in danger of splitting and going inside the tape, so it is always advisable to replace the felt pads.

flaviosr
ROM Dongle

Post by flaviosr »

jivrt wrote:Best way I found

plus

Ask for the QL mod

SCART to hdmi upscaler

Good luck
FINALLY!!! The "final" site!!! With the tools I need... not only for the QL!!! Really thanx!!! :)

flaviosr
ROM Dongle

Post by flaviosr »

RWAP wrote:
flaviosr wrote: ° I also checked the image with a modern LED TV (wht the RGBtoSCART cable) and the quality is more than excellent BUT... when in the monitor visualization (F1) I miss two columns on the left!!! For example if I type 12345 I only see 345 and so on!!! Is there a solution? I tried in a Samsung fullHD TV and in a LG fullHD TV.
Unfortunately, most TVs still require you to start the QL in TV mode - you lose 16 pixels at each end of the line and 16 pixels at the bottom of the screen....
You can indeed use an mdv2 unit as mdv1 - the only difference is the small heatsink which fits onto the microdrive ULA on mdv1.

However, before replacing mdv1_ - why is it not working? Is it not spinning at all, or could it be something simple, such as the tape heads need cleaning or the small rubber roller on the left hand side has moved up the metal shaft (there should be a gap of no more than 0.5mm under the bottom of the roller - push it down against a thin screwdriver to get this). You might also find turning the roller upside down helps (as the top half tends to get worn).

At line 8 not found..... If you are trying to load the programs from mdv2_ that will explain the issue, because the boot program tries to load a logo (LBYTES mdv1_logo, xxxxxx) and the main program (EXEC_W mdv1_Quill) from mdv1_

Code: Select all

LIST
will show you the SuperBASIC program loaded in memory so that you can see the code on line 8.

It could also be that your microdrive cartridges are corrupt - do they have new felt pads? If not - the old felt pads might be worn and in danger of splitting and going inside the tape, so it is always advisable to replace the felt pads.
Now I try to buy an upscaler to see if I solve the monitor issue... I am also going to try the QL on my 1084 (an Amiga monitor)... I did not think about this before! :)
Before changing the MDV1_ I am going to make some more tests! :) I will open the QL and try and see... I remember that, when the QL starts, the MDV1_ led flashes and I hear some noise from it.
But, when I put the microdrive and I try to access it, nothing happens! :( I get immediately an error. I remember that the force needed to put the in microdrive is higher than with MDV2_... I let you know.
I had to open the QL to change the membrane and I remember that the two microdrives are very very clean... let's cross the fingers!

And I do not think that the Psion microdrives are dead... it would mean that they are ruined all in the same point!!! :( Since I get the same error with all of them. Probably you are right and the QL try to access to MDV1_.
I am looking now at the felt with a magnifying lens and it seems perfect! :)

flaviosr
ROM Dongle

Post by flaviosr »

plus

Ask for the QL mod

SCART to hdmi upscaler

Good luck
I do not think the Amazon converter is good! In the list of SCART types there is no RGB!!! And I think that's the point... I let you know!

jivrt
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by jivrt »

flaviosr wrote:

plus

Ask for the QL mod

SCART to hdmi upscaler

Good luck
I do not think the Amazon converter is good! In the list of SCART types there is no RGB!!! And I think that's the point... I let you know!
I haven’t tried but it was the link recommended by Ian at retrocomputerschack when I asked. Maybe it jus takes the scart composite and turns it to digital hdmi. It will be good to know if it worked for somebody

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Tetroid TDI with CF card, ROM switcher, power regulator, Gold Card clone and Backplane
flaviosr
ROM Dongle

Post by flaviosr »

Dears,
I already had the QL cable DIN RGB to SCART and I received today the SCART to VGA box you proposed!
I works great (I ordered version 2, that should be able to adapt more signal types) BUT I loose one column on the left and HALF a column on the right.
I am using a DELL monitor! :(
Any other suggestions? :(

jivrt
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by jivrt »

flaviosr wrote:Dears,
I already had the QL cable DIN RGB to SCART and I received today the SCART to VGA box you proposed!
I works great (I ordered version 2, that should be able to adapt more signal types) BUT I loose one column on the left and HALF a column on the right.
Hi,
Did you specifically ask for the QL modification when you ordered the video scaler?
When you do , they fine tune it following their previous experience with the QL although they don’t have an actual QL and maybe it’s not always exact.
Your lucky your monitor accepts 50 hz!

flaviosr
ROM Dongle

Post by flaviosr »

jivrt wrote:
flaviosr wrote:Dears,
Hi,
Did you specifically ask for the QL modification when you ordered the video scaler?
When you do , they fine tune it following their previous experience with the QL although they don’t have an actual QL and maybe it’s not always exact.
Your lucky your monitor accepts 50 hz!

Ok... the mistery is solved. I received the following answer:
"
The QL modification was to bring more of the picture on the left in to view, and as much as possible for the right side. The QL goes deep in to the “overscan” areas of the TV picture, areas which were there to help older TVs operate without showing a visible border on the screen. It’s an area which would normally be avoided, but Sinclair designed the QL to use this area.

We have a version of the firmware that we can reprogram your converter with to improve the performance with the QL. We just need you to return the converter to us. The modification is free, we love our old computers too, but we’d have to charge for return postage (sorry!).
"
Now I have to check if it's convenient to ship the box back from Italy... :(