Four hard drives on the same Qbide

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Giorgio Garabello
Gold Card

Four hard drives on the same Qbide

Post by Giorgio Garabello »

Many years ago I read somewhere that it was possible to connect 4 hard drives on the same Qbide, an Italian user has confirmed to me that "Nasta" demonstrated this to some meeting.
None of us remember the details, where can I find information about it?
Thanks in advance to everyone.

Giorgio

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Re: Four hard drives on the same Qbide

Post by Dave »

Yes this is possible. The drives do have to be master/slave pairs to the older ATA specs.

Nasta's new QubIDE design does include four IDE ports to support single devices under later ATA specs.

I'll post more when I have more details in front of me. I seem to recall it was a small PCB with one IC. It may not work on some of the clones if they are not literal copies of the original QubIDE - I don't know.

Nasta is very busy right now (as in, I'm not hearing from him for an unusually long time right now) so....

Giorgio Garabello
Gold Card

Dave wrote:Yes this is possible. The drives do have to be master/slave pairs to the older ATA specs.

Nasta's new QubIDE design does include four IDE ports to support single devices under later ATA specs.

I'll post more when I have more details in front of me. I seem to recall it was a small PCB with one IC. It may not work on some of the clones if they are not literal copies of the original QubIDE - I don't know.

Nasta is very busy right now (as in, I'm not hearing from him for an unusually long time right now) so....
I've an old Qbide... not "new" or "clone"

HAOUI
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by HAOUI »

Giorgio,
I can confirm it is possible to use four drives on qubide even up to 32 drives.
This is exactly why I started the qubata driver for qubide but you need also a little add-on hardware using the expander connector (only old original qubide has this feaure).
I don't know if this kind of add-on really was made for the qubide and if they really worked (I can guess no).
Nasta had published a review on this feature but unfortunately I hadn't managed to get it working.
After a hard work I found that some lines can't be shared between drive couples otherwise drives become fully crazy.
I finally made some modified design and built 2 homework circuits that worked perfectly for me with qubata driver and I am using 2 systems with 4 drives each (1 or 2 cf card, zip unit, hard disk and cdrom) for years.
I always wanted to write some notes on this topic but never had time or saw interested users.
Anyway if you want playing iron man, I could supply some info permitting to build a working device.
Alain

Giorgio Garabello
Gold Card

HAOUI wrote:Giorgio,
I can confirm it is possible to use four drives on qubide even up to 32 drives.
This is exactly why I started the qubata driver for qubide but you need also a little add-on hardware using the expander connector (only old original qubide has this feaure).
I don't know if this kind of add-on really was made for the qubide and if they really worked (I can guess no).
Nasta had published a review on this feature but unfortunately I hadn't managed to get it working.
After a hard work I found that some lines can't be shared between drive couples otherwise drives become fully crazy.
I finally made some modified design and built 2 homework circuits that worked perfectly for me with qubata driver and I am using 2 systems with 4 drives each (1 or 2 cf card, zip unit, hard disk and cdrom) for years.
I always wanted to write some notes on this topic but never had time or saw interested users.
Anyway if you want playing iron man, I could supply some info permitting to build a working device.
Alain
many thanks Alain ..i'm very interested!!

HAOUI
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by HAOUI »

Well give me few days and I will be back. I have to retrieve some notes in my old stuff....

Zerover
ROM Dongle

Post by Zerover »

I am also interested in making this expander, any news about this?

klausfrank
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by klausfrank »

I am very interested, too. I have read Nasta’s articles about the subject and have been looking for the hardware described in the articles, but I think it is not made, yet. ;)

Take care.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

*laughs*

Nasta's expander has existed and several were sold.

Nasta redesigned the QubIDE a few years ago to offer some extended features. I incorporated it into the nextgen SQB but unfortunately never completed the project. This was in part due to it using a large number of GALs, but also due to my own lack of skills. Those have come along since then and I have been revising the design - replacing all the GALS with a single ATF1508.

Here's a notion of what's possible:
SQB v4 IO area
SQB v4 IO area

Pr0f
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Pr0f »

I used the following PAL logic to decode out 4 lanes of IDE - using a 20V8 PAL - I modified one of the aftermarket cards with 512K RAM option - removing the RAM and siting my piggyback GAL over the larger memory chip.
Attachments
Qideg3.zip
(867 Bytes) Downloaded 100 times