Q68 New users and general usage thread

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
BSJR
Trump Card

Re: Q68 New users and general usage thread

Post by BSJR »

bixio60 wrote:Hi,
(...)- Updated the Smsqe on SD because the version I received was probably a preliminary version, I used the last 3.32 released few days ago from Wolfgang (reset command did not work....)
This RESET problem may be related to the DBAS_sys loaded in your BOOT.
This can also have a RESET command which will prevent the SMSQ/E original from working.

The QLE.win has a patched version in the _sys_ directory (v2.03md2) where I renamed it to DBRST, to work with SuQcess.
Of course if you use other DBAS programs they should be patched too, or accept a non working OS-RESET.
The DBAS function FDB_RESET can still be used.

If DBAS is not the culprit you can try "PAUSE 50: RESET".
This I must use on my Aurora with the SuperHermes keyboard IF. Probably a timing problem.

Bob

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

FYI: Parcels2Go tracking is useless. If shipping internationally, it says "collected" and you have no idea where your package is. I have contacted them and they do not even have a clue where it is.

I will happily pay 2x the shipping cost to have even basic tracking functionality next time.

Zarchos
Trump Card

Post by Zarchos »

Dave wrote:FYI: Parcels2Go tracking is useless. If shipping internationally, it says "collected" and you have no idea where your package is. I have contacted them and they do not even have a clue where it is.

I will happily pay 2x the shipping cost to have even basic tracking functionality next time.
Yes they are bad.
Even worse for me living in France : with DHL it is then French Chronopost (La Poste) who delivers.
If you are not in, it is up to you to go to the nearest Post Office to retrieve your parcel, as there is no second attempt to deliver.
It is a 'don't care' service, as one can expect from a mammoth company like La Poste, which still behaves as though they were still in a monopolistic situation. (with raising prices every year, of course).
Last edited by Zarchos on Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Owner of various QLs including accelerated beasts, and also a happy Q68 owner ;)
Now porting SOTB to the Archies, to then port it to the Q68.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Archimedes ... +%28100%25
thorsinclair
Trump Card

Post by thorsinclair »

I agree. My parcel2go tracing says "delivered" which worries me a bit as I do not have it. May it has been taken by a neighbor (i hope!).

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Dave wrote:FYI: Parcels2Go tracking is useless. If shipping internationally, it says "collected" and you have no idea where your package is. I have contacted them and they do not even have a clue where it is.

Hi Dave,

I am sorry that there is a problem with the tracking, I had problems with 3 other parcels, which Parcels2Go did solve the situation.

I will look into the situation tomorrow.

In future, I will use DHL or TNT

Regards,

Derek
bixio60
Brittle Membrane

Post by bixio60 »

Thank you Bob.
I was aware of the issue with Dbas_sys and already patched.
The issue was with the preliminary version of SMSQe . As soon as I installed the official 3.32 the Reset command is back fully functional.

Fabrizio
BSJR wrote:
bixio60 wrote:Hi,
(...)- Updated the Smsqe on SD because the version I received was probably a preliminary version, I used the last 3.32 released few days ago from Wolfgang (reset command did not work....)
This RESET problem may be related to the DBAS_sys loaded in your BOOT.
This can also have a RESET command which will prevent the SMSQ/E original from working.

The QLE.win has a patched version in the _sys_ directory (v2.03md2) where I renamed it to DBRST, to work with SuQcess.
Of course if you use other DBAS programs they should be patched too, or accept a non working OS-RESET.
The DBAS function FDB_RESET can still be used.

If DBAS is not the culprit you can try "PAUSE 50: RESET".
This I must use on my Aurora with the SuperHermes keyboard IF. Probably a timing problem.

Bob

daniel_baum
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by daniel_baum »

Zarchos wrote:

Yes they are bad.
Even worse for me living in France : with DHL it is then French Chronopost (La Poste) who delivers.
If you are not in, it is up to you to go to the nearest Post Office to retrieve your parcel, as there is no second attempt to deliver.
It is a 'don't care' service, as one can expect from a mammoth company like La Poste, which still behaves as though they were still in a monopolistic situation. (with raising prices every year, of course).
Mine apparently started off in Heston, Middlesex, went to Belgium, and then back to Middlesex before being "received in destination country" a couple of days ago :) The tracking site also says "The delivery date of your parcel should be no later than 28/12/2017" which is still 10 days away, so they certainly give themselves plenty of leeway.

D.
Last edited by daniel_baum on Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Mine just says "collected" but seems to have not moved an inch.

afx
Trump Card

Post by afx »

I also received my Q68 last Friday.

Congratulations Peter, Q68 is great! Thanks for your effort and brilliant work. Everything works perfectly, Q68 is highly recommended for any QL enthusiast! Thanks also to Derek and Wolfgang for their support.

Now I have a great SMSQ/E system on my workstation. I have a keyboard-mouse-monitor switch and I can share it with my Windows station and Q68. I can switch between two systems instantly.

Over the weekend I have done some tests with several resolutions. I am very happy with the results, Q68 is highly compatible with my favorite QDOS programs.

Some photos:
(Sorry, the photos quality are not good, Q68 screen quality is much better).

Medium resolution highcolour mode 512x384 pixel (65536 colours)
Medium resolution
Medium resolution
Aurora mode 1024x768 pixel, 256 (colours)
Aurora mode
Aurora mode
High resolution QL MODE 4 1024x768 pixel (4 colours)
High resolution QL MODE 4
High resolution QL MODE 4
Standard QL MODE 4 512x256 pixel (4 colours)
Standard QL MODE 4 512x256 pixel
Standard QL MODE 4 512x256 pixel
Hopper, is playable with SLUG 175
Hopper
Hopper

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

Very nice :)
But a shame youre not getting the best out of your shiny new machine: I notice it still sports the sad old four-colour themes, but perhaps eighties retro is desirable? I wouldnt know. On the other hand, it could easily look more like this (see this post Expanding the range of QL Adventures) without hurting your eyes. I recently put together a small package to make the use of themes easier (as other have tried before me). You could do worse than look at Dilwyn's site under GD2 (the "colour drivers"). There are plenty of tools and suggestions there. Mine is the Themes04_zip at the bottom of the page. Themes are pretty retro, too, from about the mid-noughties, but you hardly see them anywhere.. ;)

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?