Q68 New users and general usage thread

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Re: Q68 New users and general usage thread

Post by Peter »

afx wrote:The problem is that I had to put a "Thread.Sleep" (between 5 and 20 ms) inside loop that transfers the individual bytes in PC side so the connection is reliable.
The Q68 SER has no hardware handshake, so you need to be sure the receiving software actually processes its input fast enough. For typical usage like COPY or SERNET this was tested from PC to Q68, and should be no problem. But I don't know about your BASIC program.

What kind of serial port do you have on PC side?

Remark: I'm a little surprised, how widely the SER port is used on the Q68. Wish there had been two more pins on the FPGA for hardware handshake.
Last edited by Peter on Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Peter wrote:
afx wrote:The problem is that I had to put a "Thread.Sleep" (between 5 and 20 ms) inside loop that transfers the individual bytes in PC side so the connection is reliable.
The Q68 SER has no hardware handshake, so you need to be sure the receiving software actually processes its input fast enough. For typical usage like COPY or SERNET this was tested from PC to Q68, and should be no problem. But I don't know about your BASIC program.

What kind of serial port do you have on PC side?
Hi,

Can you use software handshaking, XON/XOFF.

Regards,

Derek
afx
Trump Card

Post by afx »

Peter wrote:What kind of serial port do you have on PC side?
My PC motherboard has an integrated COM port (COM1).
Peter wrote: For typical usage like COPY or SERNET this was tested from PC to Q68, and should be no problem.
I have never been able configure SERNET satisfactorily. Is there a tutorial (step by step type) about SERNET installation / configuration?
Derek_Stewart wrote:Can you use software handshaking, XON/XOFF.
I have tried it, but the result is the same.

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

afx wrote:
Peter wrote: For typical usage like COPY or SERNET this was tested from PC to Q68, and should be no problem.
I have never been able configure SERNET satisfactorily. Is there a tutorial (step by step type) about SERNET installation / configuration?
Connect two Q68, or one Q68 and one PC, with a normal PC nullmodem cable.

Configure sernet_rext to correct receive/send names, e.g. SRX1id and STX1id, then try this:

Code: Select all

BAUD 115200
LRESPR sernet_rext
SNET 1
SERNET
On the other side the same, just a different station number, e.g. SNET 2

Then e.g. try DIR s2_win1_

afx
Trump Card

Post by afx »

Peter wrote:Connect two Q68, or one Q68 and one PC, with a normal PC nullmodem cable.
Configure sernet_rext to correct receive/send names, e.g. SRX1id and STX1id, then try this:

BAUD 115200
LRESPR sernet_rext
SNET 1
SERNET

On the other side the same, just a different station number, e.g. SNET 2

Then e.g. try DIR s2_win1_
Now it works perfectly!

Thanks!

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

afx wrote:Now it works perfectly!
Out of curiosity, what did you use on the other side? A PC with QPC?

afx
Trump Card

Post by afx »

Peter wrote:Out of curiosity, what did you use on the other side? A PC with QPC?
Yes, I used a PC with QPC2, all work fine.

PD:
But my tests with QemuLator/SMSQE on the PC did not work. I do not know the reason. (I checked the configuration of the COM ports in QmuLator and apparently it is correct).

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

afx wrote:But my tests with QemuLator/SMSQE on the PC did not work. I do not know the reason. (I checked the configuration of the COM ports in QmuLator and apparently it is correct).
Yes, that's why I asked. I also can't get it to work under Qemulator and was hoping someone else would.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Is there any way to have the Q68 skip over the halt at no keyboard error?

I'd like to use my Q68 in kiosk mode without a keyboard, but it will not complete boot. I want to use capacitive touch sensors accessed from SBASIC via the extension bus.

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

Dave wrote:Is there any way to have the Q68 skip over the halt at no keyboard error?

I'd like to use my Q68 in kiosk mode without a keyboard, but it will not complete boot. I want to use capacitive touch sensors accessed from SBASIC via the extension bus.
This sounds strange. The Q68 boots pefectly without mouse and keyboard. SMSQ/E up to date? Where does it halt?