Q68 Order Process

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Whopper
Over Heated PSU

Re: Q68 Order Process

Post by Whopper »

Derek

The only comment / suggestion I would make is restructuring the two interfaces. QLE and QDock use different file stores. This has caused me a little confusion. I believe that the boot systems could load their programs and then attach the same file store to allow access to all of the programs. This will allow me to access my programs from both frontends.

Is it possible to get access to the I2C pins within the cased Q68?

Can a timer be fitted to switch the thing off at around 2am?

Whopper

You woke me for THAT!!!
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Whopper wrote:Derek

The only comment / suggestion I would make is restructuring the two interfaces. QLE and QDock use different file stores. This has caused me a little confusion. I believe that the boot systems could load their programs and then attach the same file store to allow access to all of the programs. This will allow me to access my programs from both frontends.

Is it possible to get access to the I2C pins within the cased Q68?

Can a timer be fitted to switch the thing off at around 2am?

Whopper
Hi Whopper,

The reason for two different storage sources or WIN drives, is QL/E is a defined QL software distribution not written by me.

The Q-DOCK boot file was written by me as an example of what the Q68 could do with existing software.

The Q68 boot file does not load anything automatically due to comments in the past of users that only want to use 512 x 256 4/8 colours, which is they called QL Classic mode? not sure about that.

I had assumed that everyone can write boot files, install QL application, know how to configure the defaults whether Config Level 1/2 or Environmental. Maybe this is wrong assumption.

I can write a boot file that will access both QL/E and Q-Dock, which I will do when I have the time.

What about QDT, Black Phoenix, Launchpad, QDOCK (from Wolfgang Lenerz), Task master, QATS.... do you not want any if that software.

The boot file on a QL based system can be customised to the needs of the user, each system can be unique, unless we move to a blank GUI system like other operating systems.

To access the I2C interface inside the Q68 case, a small cable is required and can be fitted to the I2C header in the Q68 board, which needs the Q68 board removed from the case. There is no access port on the case to facilitate the I2C interface. I could redesign the front or back panel to do this.

To switch the Q698 off at a certain time, is not possible internally, as the power switch is a simple push to make switch. Probably the best way to switch anything off at a certain time would be a mains timer switch. Personally, I do not switch computers off, they run all day 24/7...

Regards,

Derek
Whopper
Over Heated PSU

Post by Whopper »

Derek,

Thanks for your reply.

I can write boot files, but am just getting used to the environments. I haven't even added a second SD card yet, so transfering software / applications is going to have to wait.

Whop
Whopper

You woke me for THAT!!!
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

There is no real need to use an SD Card to transfer files to the Q68.

One option is to use a standard Null Modem cable connecting the Q68 serial port to a PC serial port.

Use QPC2 on the PC and connect ti the Q68 via SerNET, using QPAC2 Files Thing.

Regards,

Derek
Whopper
Over Heated PSU

Post by Whopper »

Derek,

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I was going to try Kermit. I have a working version of Kermit 95 for the PC and have a working (well it starts up and does everything) version for the QL.

Your last message did remind me that, on boot up, the Q68 is in BBQL mode (well almost, apart from the speed, the memory, etc, etc.) So I have been using that. I find that the same (I think it's the same) C68 code works much better in BBQL mode rather than either of the GUIs.

Whopper

You woke me for THAT!!!
Fschoof
ROM Dongle

Post by Fschoof »

Hallo QL Friends,

Since yesterday i‘m a new Forum Member. My First Question is, where and how can i Order a Q68? Thanks for the Answers.

Frank from Germany :D

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Frank,

I am still wofking my way through the Q68 orders. I will add you to the list and contact when I can complete the order.

Regards,

Derek
robyinno
ROM Dongle

Post by robyinno »

Hello Derek,
From today I'm registered in this forum, I'm an old QL enthusiast , my old QL is at the Computer Museum in Italy, so now I want to have again a QL machine.
I'm interested to order a Q68 so please add me to your list of contact when you will complete the order.

Thanks

Roberto

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Roberto,

I have recorded your interest in the Q68, I am in the process of ordering new PCBs.

I have also replied on Facebook.

I will contact you when I can complete the order.

The Q68 have proved more popular than I hoped.

Regards,

Derek
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Derek_Stewart wrote:The Q68 have proved more popular than I hoped.
Great news, although more work for you :D