QL-SD question

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Simon_Carr
Brittle Membrane

QL-SD question

Post by Simon_Carr »

I've had a search on the forums, and a quick look through the manual, but no joy, so I have to start another thread... Sorry!

I've connected my QLSD so that I have not had to remove a microdrive, and have threaded the ribbon cable out through the gap in the expansion slot so that the SD card and associated PCB sits nicely outside the box. I still haven't really done a lot with it (problems reading and moving software from QEmulator on the Mac onto the SD card BIN), mainly through lack of time, but...

I notice that if My QL boots up to include the QL-SD drivers, I cannot get either of my Microdrives to work properly. If I'm quick during startup I can abort the installation of the QL-SD drivers, and things work as normal, although if I type DIR SDC1_ I still get a readout of the contents of the SD card (which I wasn't expecting).

Does anyone know why these two things are happening? Any explanations gratefully received...

Simon

Unpacking a JS-ROM QL, with a QL-SD and SuperQBoard, and busily refelting millions of microdrives
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Re: QL-SD question

Post by tofro »

Simon,

that sounds a bit weird. QLSD shouldn't actually interfere at all with the microdrives. Can you give a bit more detail on what "doesn't work properly" means?

I would suggest (and the second quirk you mentioned somehow hints in the same direction) that you actually weren't fast enough to abort driver installation and some "SDC_USE mdv" got in the way.

Do the same things happen when you remove the SD card from QLSD completely?

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Simon_Carr
Brittle Membrane

Re: QL-SD question

Post by Simon_Carr »

Okay, I'm an idiot! I was doing the microdrive testing at the same time as I was creating a duplicate of Lost Empire of Zkul, and I think I must have used my new duplicate, which of course will have some sort of copy protection on it.

I tried again this morning with a different cartridge, and everything worked just fine! Apologies if I have baffled you... It serves me right for not thinking clearly whilst doing my tinkering last night!

Unpacking a JS-ROM QL, with a QL-SD and SuperQBoard, and busily refelting millions of microdrives