Monitor Connection?

Nagging hardware related question? Post here!
Andi B.
ROM Dongle

Monitor Connection?

Post by Andi B. »

Hello all,
in the eighties my brothe and I had a cool black color monitor (Prism?) for our QL but now 25 years later I'm looking for an alternative to connect the QL to a modern VGA screen.
Unfortunately we have sold everything when we bought an Amiga decades ago... :(

Has anybody any ideas for a guy without deeper knowledge but a soldering gun (maybe using a CGA/EGA/YUV TO VGA converter from the Bay)?
Which possibilities are there to convert the QL video output to any kind of usable signal?

Thank you!

Regards
Andi B.
belg4rion67
Trump Card

Re: Monitor Connection?

Post by belg4rion67 »

Hi dear, I'm Paolo from Italy and in my country there's a web seller that has a cheap videoconverter: view at this link: http://shop.gruppoarea.info/elettronica ... s_id=19319
is only for composite but works fine on my Speccy; for my QL I'm using a Samsung LCD monitor/tv connected via Scart and even this works very well (even if only with QL in tv mode)

Only original hardware! :)
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

http://www.qlforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12

That thread should be just the job for you!

polka
Trump Card

Post by polka »

As I stated in my introduction, I did myself a simple QL to SCART cable that I use now with my flat screen LCD TV and indeed get 512x256 resolution very well. Tomorrow I will open it to remember what is inside and tell you...

Paul

May the FORTH be with you !
POLKa
Andi B.
ROM Dongle

Post by Andi B. »

Now i prepared a Scart cable (while waiting for my VGA-converter for the monitor).
Unfotunately does the TV shows nothing when directly connected and using a videorecorder as a kind of adapter the TV shows an colored image but it moves fast from right to left and a little bit from bottom to top.

Any ideas how/if this can be fixed?

Greetings from Munich
Andi

Regards
Andi B.
belg4rion67
Trump Card

Post by belg4rion67 »

Hi, for my QL I have made a scart cable like this: http://www.fruitcake.plus.com/Sinclair/ ... ableQL.htm
All resistor enter in scart shell wothout problem because are all 1/4 watt power and on my previous TV set (an old analog Philips system) images was fine, with my new Samsung TV/monitor works very fine :D

Only original hardware! :)
Andi B.
ROM Dongle

Post by Andi B. »

Andi B. wrote:... I had a cool black color monitor (Prism?) for our QL but now 25 years later I'm looking for an alternative to connect the QL to a modern VGA screen.
What a coincidence that last week I could buy the same model PRISM QL 14 monitor we had in the good old days... :D
It was offered on ebay as defect and I got it for 1,- EUR (+ shipping). In fact the circuit board has a crack but I could solder the broken conducting paths...now it works!

But one little thing is not 100% perfect: There are vertical dark stripes visible on the left side (see pictures). Does anybody know, why this occures and how this can be fixed?

Regards
Andi B.
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

I wonder if that is a degaussing issue? :?:

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Nope.

That's a ring/bounce issue. There are so many causes, from poor quality lead with no ferrite cores on it, to capacitor issues to....

I suspect putting a couple of ferrite cores one on each end of the cable could help some to get a cleaner signal into the monitor.