Hardware or Software problem

Discussion and advice about emulating the QL on other machines.
Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Hardware or Software problem

Post by Mr_Navigator »

I am having an issue with Q-emuLator (under Windows 7) at the moment which restricts its use to the standard QL configuration on my work laptop which I can use as dual purpose (home & work).

The issue arises when loading in SMSQ/e, I use the this as the boot

32757 IF VER$<>"HBA" THEN LRESPR WIN8_SMSQ_QEM:END IF
32758 DISP_COLOUR 0, 512, 256

This works fine and dandy, however when I change it to

32758 DISP_COLOUR 3, 512, 256 (or any other size and 3 being the only other option) I lose control of the window and drop down options as the mouse disappears when the cursor is moved within any part of the window. The options such as File, Memory QL etc. and the maximise, minimise and close buttons still get highlighted when the now "invisible mouse" is over them. However clicking does nothing, I cant shutdown, resize or access any drop down options, nor can I access the drives or attribute the drives to anything. While in this mode ALT normally would highlight the drop downs, but that doesn't happen either.

Pressing ALT F12 allows control back to a see able mouse where I can resize etc.
Pressing ALT F12 again resets the screen with a few flashes and after awhile I get back to the display

On the same laptop QPC2 runs quite happily in all modes.

What am I doing wrong? Am I doing anything wrong?
This does not occur on my own PC laptop or on the Mac version.

Any ideas people?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/
RWAP
RWAP Master

Re: Hardware or Software problem

Post by RWAP »

I have checked it here on my Q-emulator with Windows 7 (64 bit) and get the same result - my smsqe is set to use the full screen, so I had an even worse time - pressed the windows key to get a minimised version of q-emulator, and then clicking on any of the q-emulator controls (including the X button) just went back to the QL's full screen.

Used task manager in the end to close the program...

Just one thing - you should be using DISP_COLOUR 2,512,256 if you are running Aurora graphics mode (as that is 256 bit colours - DISP_COLOUR 3 is 16 bit colours)

For anyone wanting to test this on other Windows, it is probably useful to remind you how to use SMSQE under Q-emulator.

You need to configure say 4MB memory and use the Aurora colour driver (256 colours) in the QL Configuration ->Graphics tab.

You can then LRESPR flp1_SMSQ_GOLD - if you point it to a device containing the program.

I don't have a copy of the Q40/Q60 smsq/e to try under the Q60 driver...

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

RWAP wrote: I don't have a copy of the Q40/Q60 smsq/e to try under the Q60 driver...
The Q40/Q60 SMSQ/E binary can't work. Qemulator emulates only video/sound, but not the whole machine.

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

The Q40/Q60 binary of SMSQ/E does indeed not work on Q-Emulator.

Daniele's own version of SMSQ/E that supports the emulated Q40/Q60 graphics modes, however, does (http://terdina.net/ql/software.html, scroll down to "SMSQ/E"). Maybe that's what Rich was referring to.

Regards,
Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Excellent - I had not noticed that Daniele offered his own versions of SMSQ/e for q-emulator!