Debian from Intel to ARM: No Wine, no QPC2, no Q-emuLator

Discussion and advice about emulating the QL on other machines.
programandala.net
Chuggy Microdrive

Debian from Intel to ARM: No Wine, no QPC2, no Q-emuLator

Post by programandala.net »

Last months I've been migrating Debian from my Asus Eee to a Pandora. I really wanted to leave the Intel platform forever. My Debian environment is a bit unusual, keyboard oriented (Ratpoison + GNU screen + keynav), but at the end I succeeded to make it work in the Pandora. Only hibernation and battery status still remain unsolved.

As for the QL, the ARM platform (the Pandora has a 600 MHz Texas Instruments OMAP3530) means Wine (needed to execute QPC2 and Q-emuLator on GNU/Linux) can not work anymore. That makes uQLx my only choice... I'm working on its compilation.

All this makes me dream about a native GNU/Linux version of Q-emuLator (QPC2 is even more Windows-oriented, as far as I know, and I guess its author would not even consider such a task).

Marcos Cruz (programandala.net)
Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Re: Debian from Intel to ARM: No Wine, no QPC2, no Q-emuLato

Post by Mr_Navigator »

Hi Marcus, with the SMSE licence change does your dream take a step nearer a possibility ?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

The native, GNU/Linux version of Q-Emulator is uqlx, which is available for Debian/ARM.
(uqlx and Q-Emulator are based on the same roots)

An SMSQ/E based, high-colour, high-resolution version of uqlx would however be highly desirable.

Regards,
Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Are any of the many people working on the ARM port of uQLx for the Pi co-ordinating their efforts?

There has been very little public communication about progress.

Dave

programandala.net
Chuggy Microdrive

Dave wrote:Are any of the many people working on the ARM port of uQLx for the Pi co-ordinating their efforts?
It would be useful to know what's the current situation and share the experiences. More and more of us are needing a QL emulator for ARM.

One first simple task would be to publish the best sources. I have several versions I found on different places, with different version number format, different configurations or even modified.

tofro, you successfully executed uQLx on your Genesi Efika in September? It didn't work for me on the Pandora nor the Pi. I tried to build it from several sources too. I've made no further investigation since then because of other non-QL projects. Are you in contact with the author of uQLx?

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

programandala.net wrote: tofro, you successfully executed uQLx on your Genesi Efika in September? It didn't work for me on the Pandora nor the Pi. I tried to build it from several sources too. I've made no further investigation since then because of other non-QL projects. Are you in contact with the author of uQLx?
Can positively confirm that. And after my RPi has finally arrived, I have working versions of uqlx for both the Genesi ARM and the RPi platform.

Regards,
Tobias

programandala.net
Chuggy Microdrive

tofro wrote: I have working versions of uqlx for both the Genesi ARM and the RPi platform.
I use Raspbian on the RPi. Do you? If so, I'd like to try that uQLx.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

tofro wrote:Can positively confirm that. And after my RPi has finally arrived, I have working versions of uqlx for both the Genesi ARM and the RPi platform.

Regards,
Tobias
Tobias, can you provide any benchmarks, and do you have any code you'd like to share?

Dave

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

I hope to have a somewhat "final" binary package for the RPi ready after christmas to be put on Dilwyn's site.
Speed is, well, "reasonably fast" (I have no benchmarks, but I guess it well out-paces an original GoldCard QL.)

Regards,
Tobias

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

tofro wrote:I hope to have a somewhat "final" binary package for the RPi ready after christmas to be put on Dilwyn's site.
Speed is, well, "reasonably fast" (I have no benchmarks, but I guess it well out-paces an original GoldCard QL.)
Regards,
Tobias
I will look forward to that.

Have you been able to work with Richard Zidlicky on coordinating the sources in any way? It sounds like we need the equivalent of the SMSQ/E Registrar for uQLx now.

Dilwyn