QPC2 v5 released

Discussion and advice about emulating the QL on other machines.
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Re: QPC2 v5 released

Post by mk79 »

NormanDunbar wrote:The first time anyone has to recover a lost file from version control is when they realise exactly how useful it is!
I use it mostly as an external brain. I'm working on so many different projects at the same time (not just QL wise, at work in general) that I cannot keep track of them. Seeing what I did or didn't change last time is a life saver as I have certainly forgotten all about it.

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

mk79 wrote:
NormanDunbar wrote:The first time anyone has to recover a lost file from version control is when they realise exactly how useful it is!
I use it mostly as an external brain. I'm working on so many different projects at the same time (not just QL wise, at work in general) that I cannot keep track of them. Seeing what I did or didn't change last time is a life saver as I have certainly forgotten all about it.
Same here. As soon as you can only work intermittently on projects, even worse changing back and forth between various things you fiddle with, I tend to loose track on what I did or did not last time - A version control system (I'm old-school, and use SVN) works wonders as the old brain's peg leg.

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

pjw wrote:
mk79 wrote:Glad you like it. I'm a huge fan of version controlling my source code and this feature makes that sooo much easier.
And, mercifully, a feature that can be turned off! Thank you for that ;)
I agree, Per. Just got caught out by it (file was already in a dos device with '.' separator and MenuConfig couldn't see it), so I've turned off the tick box for it in the WIN/DOS/FLP configuration window for now until I do a brain reset.

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

dilwyn wrote:
pjw wrote:
mk79 wrote:Glad you like it. I'm a huge fan of version controlling my source code and this feature makes that sooo much easier.
And, mercifully, a feature that can be turned off! Thank you for that ;)
I agree, Per. Just got caught out by it (file was already in a dos device with '.' separator and MenuConfig couldn't see it),
I don't understand, the file should be visible using an underscore from within QPC or are you referring to other platforms?

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

mk79 wrote:
dilwyn wrote:
pjw wrote:And, mercifully, a feature that can be turned off! Thank you for that ;)
I agree, Per. Just got caught out by it (file was already in a dos device with '.' separator and MenuConfig couldn't see it),
I don't understand, the file should be visible using an underscore from within QPC or are you referring to other platforms?
Did I break it?

Was looking at the config block of smsqe.bin (filename was d:\smsqe.bin in Windows, copied and pasted in Windows, not in QPC2, in root of drive in case permissions had anything to do with it). Came up as 'smsqe_bin' in fileselect menu in menuconfig but on trying to load it got the message in the other picture
mc2.jpg
mc1.jpg

mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

Do you have by any chance a directory called "smsqe" on that drive? It's the only way I can reproduce this behavior.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

mk79 wrote:Do you have by any chance a directory called "smsqe" on that drive? It's the only way I can reproduce this behavior.
Yes - that'll be the reason. Dohh, fell for that one.

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

For me it breaks down when you have two files, say dos1_ladida.dat and dos1_ladida_dat. Then they both show up in Files as dos1_ladida_dat, ie two files with the same name. (Which, of course, an unsuspecting soul might construe as being an early sign of on-setting dementia!) Only the "first" one (the one that happens to be physically first in the directory) is actually accessible. The other is out of reach. Of course, it is possible to get rid of the problem, but during the transition period it can be pure, sweet, hell.
The other trap is that other commands that are host OS facing, such as WIN_DRIVE and similar, are not as forgiving in translating the final dash/dot.
Im NOT complaining! Just glad that its optional.

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

pjw wrote:For me it breaks down when you have two files, say dos1_ladida.dat and dos1_ladida_dat.
That will be fixed in the next release. You can actually already access both files just fine, it's just the directory listing that becomes ambiguous.