A small QL

Discussion and advice about emulating the QL on other machines.
Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Re: A small QL

Post by Peter »

M68008 wrote:I'm not volunteering :) as I'm new to 3D modeling and it takes me ages to get anything done, but probably changing a few dimensions wouldn't be too bad... feel free to send a technical diagram my way if you like and I can give it a quick try. No promises.
My problem with providing fixed geometries: The Qzero is a tinkering module with a long list of individual ways to use it:
  • Absolutely smallest "desktop" QL with just keyboard, video and microSD?
  • External QL mass storage device with QLNET and microSD card?
  • USB/serial to QLNET converter?
  • One or two network connectors?
  • With or without microSD card?
  • 1, 2 or more LEDs and which shape?
  • Plugged onto a baseboard to make it larger, more heavy and provide more connectors?
  • Use "large" connectors inside the case at all, or lead out the cables directly, like keyboards do?
  • Battery-based, since the Qzero consumes extremely little power?
  • Add a RPi Zero as hat?
  • Use the Qzero as a hat for RPi?
The list could go on... and every decision changes holes and space requirements. So the best would probably be if someone who decided for a specific use, and knows about the 3D printing constraints, also constructs the case.

For a quick shot, simply allowing 65 x 50 mm and 14 mm height as internal space could ba a compromise. Leaving the decisions for holes and connectors for later.
The absolute minimum would be 65 x 28 mm and 4 mm height. In that case, very thin cables need to be lead out.

This should not create the wrong impression I had already decided the Qzero will be publicly released. Still possible that I spare myself the trouble and provide it to friends only.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Peter,

How about using header pins for the connectors, so a wired connection can be made to the physical connector.

Regards,

Derek
Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

Derek_Stewart wrote:How about using header pins for the connectors, so a wired connection can be made to the physical connector.
That's how it is. Standard 2.54 mm pitch. In most cases, it will be sufficient to use the smaller ones on the left (video) and on the right (peripherals).
ecp5mod.jpg

RalfR
Aurora

Post by RalfR »

I don't really care about the size. The main thing is that you can choose between JS, Minerva and SMSQ/E.

4E75 7000
Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

From operating system perspective, the Qzero is nearly 100% compatible to a Q68. So it would immeditately run SMSQ/E and Minerva. Note that Jan does a fine job maintaining Minerva for the Q68 and has a repository for it. Original QL QDOS does not run, because there is too much RAM, and I emulate neither microdrives nor the QL matrix keyboard. QDOS Classic works, but I'm too busy/lazy to maintain a public release myself.

Tinyfpga
Gold Card

Post by Tinyfpga »

The SLICK Windowing Display Controller was designed to do in hardware what is currently being done in software. Although creating the system in FPGA would be far from a trivial task,it was designed some time ago and thus reflects the kind of hardware that was available in simpler times.

The design exists in a reasonably detailed format but not as a functional circuit diagram. I cannot program FPGA's but I approached a company in Southampton that can. The problem is that SLICK was designed to work in conjunction with an SMS type computing architecture. It would not be useful as an independant graphics processor.
The good news is that their hourly charge is less than mine (which is amazing, considering that they are sginificantly cleverer than me).

I like to believe that at some time in the future I will be able to organize and pay for SLICK to be implemented in, lets say, a Qzero.

To test the difference of display performance between QPC and a Q68, I decided to recreate the Amiga bouncing ball demo runing in a moveable SMSQE window. I Installed QPC on a Lenovo Thinkpad X220 containing an i5-2520m (running at 2.5Ghz).
A large ball bounces smoothly on QPC. For a smooth bounce on a Q68 the ball has to have a diameter that is a 1/4 of the large ball. I think that is a pretty impressive performance for a system that is 100 (maybe more?) times less powerful than the PC.

As far as I can see the Qzero is very practical design and it would be difficult to improve it. In its current form (and due to its tiny format) it can be used by tinkerers to make a wide variety of systems. Anything from a QL look-alike (something like the new Spectrum or the Raspberry Pi 400) to a toughened industrial controller.
The Price of 3D printers and contract printing is now so low one can easily make a one-off box to suit a particular need. As Peter points out a Qzero can be simply placed into a standard or modified mini keyboard.

I seem to have posted this under the wrong heading. I tried to delete this post but it seems impossible, so I have posted a copy under the topic:- knoware.no

RalfR
Aurora

Post by RalfR »

Tinyfpga wrote:The SLICK Windowing Display Controller was designed to do in hardware what is currently being done in software. Although creating the system in FPGA would be far from a trivial task,it was designed some time ago and thus reflects the kind of hardware that was available in simpler times.

The design exists in a reasonably detailed format but not as a functional circuit diagram.
Would be good to see more of the detailed design. I always thought, that there were more to come from QJump.

I even thought, that the QJump Pointer I/F was designed through the Sinclair times of TT, but I am unsure.

4E75 7000
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

I do not think it a good idwa to compare QPC2 to Q68, as the Q68 is single running at 40Mhz, my Laptop Core i7 runs each at 1.83Ghz, so 4 x 1.83 ... maybe not the QPC2 emulation system probably slows the speed down, but it is much faster than 40Mhz.

I remember talking to Marcel at Brighton Quanta Workshop, when I lauched the Q60 , which the discussion was about an A0 print of a speed comparison printed in QL Today.

The speed comparison figures were later proved to wrong, as with most information in QL, Today, or was that Qbranch Today.

Personally I think the Q68 in screen mode 1024x768 Mode lookig and comppares to an Atari TT030 + QVME.

I have an Atari TT030 anc QVME and did a side by side comparison, the Q68 booted faster and had the same operating functionality.

Alas the TT030 did start one day, custom chip has failed, so I will fix this one day, the QVME sold to another Atari user to start using a proper OS.

Regards,

Derek