QL on the Raspberry Pi...?

Discussion and advice about emulating the QL on other machines.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: QL on the Raspberry Pi...?

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I considered fitting a Q68 board to a PS/2 mini keyboard, would this be something worth doing?

Regards,

Derek
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Derek_Stewart wrote:Hi,

I considered fitting a Q68 board to a PS/2 mini keyboard, would this be something worth doing?
Guess that would be attractive to someone like me who is short of desk space to permanently set up a "QL".

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

The Pi 400 with emulator will be much faster than a Q68, and half the price.

While there's something satisfying about real hardware, for plain performance and ease of access, this Pi 400 is going to be a real boon.

Just waiting for the all black model to be released in February. Pink is not my thing.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Dave wrote:The Pi 400 with emulator will be much faster than a Q68, and half the price.
Which emulator?

Bearing mind Q68 can run SMSQ/E, where the PI can only run SMSQmulator with Java installed.
Dave wrote: While there's something satisfying about real hardware, for plain performance and ease of access, this Pi 400 is going to be a real boon.
I may buy one, but I hardly use the PIs I have.
Dave wrote: Just waiting for the all black model to be released in February. Pink is not my thing.
I thought someone said you look pretty in pink....

Regards,

Derek
XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

Derek_Stewart wrote:
Dave wrote:The Pi 400 with emulator will be much faster than a Q68, and half the price.
Which emulator?

Bearing mind Q68 can run SMSQ/E, where the PI can only run SMSQmulator with Java installed.
Just need the source code for QPC2 and a quick port to ARM and sorted for SMSQ/e

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

I beleve that some/much/most of QPC2 is written in assembler. I might be misremembering, but I'm sure (at my age, that's about 60% sure) Marcel mentioned this a while back.

Be gentle if I'm wrong though! ;)

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I think porting SMSQ/E to ARM be be easier than seeing the source code to QPC2...

Regards,

Derek
mk79
QL Wafer Drive

Post by mk79 »

XorA wrote:Just need the source code for QPC2 and a quick port to ARM and sorted for SMSQ/e
I'm almost tempted to give it to you to see how quickly you can port 10000 Lines of x86 Assembler to ARM ;)

Well, it used to be a lot more lines, but for the upcoming v5 I rewrote everything but the 68k core in C, so it's easier now and one might just switch to a C-based core to get rid of the rest (which I expect not to be easy but doable). But then you'd still be stuck with some 15000 lines of C code that was exclusively written with Windows in mind, making plenty of use of the Windows and DirectX APIs and so on. I read people have managed to install Windows 10 on a Pi, but it doesn't seem to be a pleasant nor fast experience ("starting a browser takes several minutes").

I've been working on this thing code for over 25 years and few lines have not been refactored in this time, but god damn, that's a long time.

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

mk79 wrote:I'm almost tempted to give it to you to see how quickly you can port 10000 Lines of x86 Assembler to ARM ;)
Hey! I was right! :)

And ARM assembly is just weird. (Dons flameproof suit.....)
mk79 wrote:I've been working on this thing code for over 25 years and few lines have not been refactored in this time, but god damn, that's a long time.
That's more than a long time, that's serious dedication. And thanks for all you have done over the years, without QPC, I'd have no QLing.

Stay safe.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

mk79 wrote:
XorA wrote:Just need the source code for QPC2 and a quick port to ARM and sorted for SMSQ/e
I'm almost tempted to give it to you to see how quickly you can port 10000 Lines of x86 Assembler to ARM ;)

Well, it used to be a lot more lines, but for the upcoming v5 I rewrote everything but the 68k core in C, so it's easier now and one might just switch to a C-based core to get rid of the rest (which I expect not to be easy but doable). But then you'd still be stuck with some 15000 lines of C code that was exclusively written with Windows in mind, making plenty of use of the Windows and DirectX APIs and so on. I read people have managed to install Windows 10 on a Pi, but it doesn't seem to be a pleasant nor fast experience ("starting a browser takes several minutes").

I've been working on this thing code for over 25 years and few lines have not been refactored in this time, but god damn, that's a long time.
Sorry I missed the smiley I meant to put on the statement as I know youve detailed that before.

The DirectX/Windows APIs would not be my worry on that as wine project is also a linkable library so there is a native linux ARM implementation of those.