Help! My ALT key has been hijacked!

Discussion and advice about emulating the QL on other machines.
pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Help! My ALT key has been hijacked!

Post by pjw »

Since M$ discontinued support for W7 I retired my old Macbook laptop rather than pay the window tax to "upgrade". But now I have need of the old beast, so I just installed Ubuntu, Wine and QPC2 on it. To all appearances, everything in QPC2 works like under W7 - except that Linux, X11 (or whatever) or Gnome or Wine have hijacked many of the ALT key combinations Im addicted to, so I cant work properly.

Does anyone know how to fix this bloody nuisance? I only have a cursory acquaintance with Linux (although a very long and fraught one) so any explanations need to be detailed and clear, please.

This computer is also capable of running Mac OS. If the worst came to the worst I guess I could always re-install that when I get home. But wont it just end up presenting with the same malady? I gather Mac OS is just a sexed up version of Linux and the Mac version of QPC2 also relies on Wine..

TIA

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Help! My ALT key has been hijacked!

Post by tofro »

Per,

what variant of Linux do you have? Different versions grab different keys for shortcuts and different Window Managers are configured differently.

EDIT: Those who read have a clear advantage, apparently....

Ubuntu Keyboard shortcuts:

Go to the keyboard shortcut settings, remove/disable everything that grabs a key you want in QPC2.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Re: Help! My ALT key has been hijacked!

Post by pjw »

Thanks Tobias. I'll try it out tomorrow.

Edit: Those who know how to use the Internet have a clear advantage too, it seems! I shoulda thunk before panicking.. ;)

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?