uQLx how to on Suse Linux

Discussion and advice about emulating the QL on other machines.
Ruptor
Gold Card

uQLx how to on Suse Linux

Post by Ruptor »

I use Suse Linux but don't really know much about installing software I usually find a package that does it for me. Could someone point me in the direction of instructions or the easiest way to get uQLx on Suse?

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: uQLx how to on Suse Linux

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

You could also use QPC2 runnning under Wine or SMSQmulator under Java

UQLX has to compiled on the target macjine, try this QL Forum thread, has a lot info.
viewtopic.php?t=2604#p25237

Regards,

Derek
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

I would always recommend QPC2 and Wine over uQLX (even if I have a bit of sympathy to it as I somewhat had my hands in development of the RPi version).

A proper Wine package should be with your SuSe distribution and install right out of the box. Starting QPC2 from there is a breeze, normally.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Ruptor
Gold Card

Post by Ruptor »

Thanks guys. I have Wine installed already so I went to "The Distribution" and clicked qpc2 under emulators and it loaded and run. I didn't recognise a thing. I seem to have no recollection about my QL screen or anything about the operating system at all. I do have an emulation of it now though. ;) Maybe if I use it something will come back but at the moment I have nothing.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

If you do not load any hard drive files, QPC2 will start with the standard QL Windows, only it works better than the old QL system.

UQLX can only run QDOS and Minerva based ROM QLs.Butit is very good.

Personally, I use QPC2, SMSQmulator which uses SMSQ/E, which is the same operating system as the new Q68...

Regards,

Derek
QLvsJAGUAR
Gold Card

Post by QLvsJAGUAR »

Ruptor wrote:Thanks guys. I have Wine installed already so I went to "The Distribution" and clicked qpc2 under emulators and it loaded and run. I didn't recognise a thing. I seem to have no recollection about my QL screen or anything about the operating system at all. I do have an emulation of it now though. ;) Maybe if I use it something will come back but at the moment I have nothing.
I felt about the same when I first fired-up a Commodore Amiga after some 15 years. :lol:

The emulators section (folder qle) of the distribution is nice, but I would recommend the QL/E (folder qle) section which holds not only the latest versions of the major QL emulators including the latest versions of uQLx for Linux but also a complete QL software environment (with many pre-configured apps). A chmod 755 *.sh followed by ./uqlxchmod.sh does the preparation, then ./uqlx.sh starts uQLx, or ./SMSQmulator11.sh starts SMSQmulator (under Java 11).

Enjoy QL tinkering!

QL forever!

QL forever!
https://www.sinclairql.net/ - Go and get THE DISTRIBUTION & QL/E!
https://www.youtube.com/QLvsJAGUAR/community - Blog
https://www.youtube.com/QLvsJAGUAR - Dedicated QL videos
Sinclair, QL, ATARI, JAGUAR, NUON, APPLE, NeXT, MiST & much more...
Videos, pictures & information
Ruptor
Gold Card

Post by Ruptor »

QLvsJAGUAR wrote:I felt about the same when I first fired-up a Commodore Amiga after some 15 years. :lol:
More than 30 years since I saw the QL so it is a blank. :|
I did what you said even though I don't know exactly what permissions were being messed with and uQLx came straight up, thanks a lot. Are those steps listed somewhere in a readme file? The Distribution is so big and I went to emu assuming that would be the location of all emulators but it was the wrong place for what I needed. :roll:
Happy Christmas!

Ruptor
Gold Card

Post by Ruptor »

The uQLx seems to do random things when I start it. Ah! I just realised it isn't random it is repetitive alternation. If the system starts with just the red and white screens and the next time the red and white screens are full of text with tool kit mentioned underneath then all the heron stuff starts loading. Any ideas?
I have never seen the heron stuff that looks like a noddy GEM desktop. :? I mouse click the buttons but nothing happens probably because of the random starting or maybe I just don't know what I am doing with it. :lol: