Slowing down QPC 2 or uQLx to original QL speed

Discussion and advice about emulating the QL on other machines.
Maskenlos
Over Heated PSU

Slowing down QPC 2 or uQLx to original QL speed

Post by Maskenlos »

Hi all,

I tried to find some information in the forum how to slow down QPC2 or uQLx to the original QL speed but so far I was not successful.
Any idea is highly appreciated.

Cheers,

Stephan

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Re: Slowing down QPC 2 or uQLx to original QL speed

Post by tofro »

Stephan,

uqlx doesn't have any in-built mechanisms to slow it down to QL speed - It was originally developed when the emulator even struggled to keep up with an original QL.

QPC knows the SLUG command that can slow down interactive programs (that wait for keyboard input)

Then there is a number of programs that keep the emulated QL busy with other (scheduler loop) tasks to slow it down, namely

Norman Dunbar's SlowGold

Unknown artist's Slug

Both programs will need quite a bit of experimenting to get the settings right, and might not be able to slow down programs that completely by-pass the operating system.

Your best bet to get original QL speed for arbitrary programs is to use QEmulator or (I think) the new ZEsarUX emulators.

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

If hardware is an option, the Q68 can run at QL speed by actually slowing down the CPU in hardware. A little tuning is still required because the Q68 CPU timings are not cycle accurate to the 68008. But in my experience it works better that the software tricks, especially for games that bypass the OS.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

Is it possible to slow down the 68008 CPU?

Regards,

Derek