Q-emulator for OS X and Windows

Discussion and advice about emulating the QL on other machines.
Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Q-emulator for OS X and Windows

Post by Sparrowhawk »

A thread to discuss Q-emuLator, my emulator of choice.

Version 3 has just come out for Windows and Version 1 for Mac OS X. Although I now mostly use the Mac version, I can heartily recommend both platform versions as I do use the Windows version too (when my wife lets me have the Windows laptop back! )

Is anyone else here using them and if so, how are you finding them and what limitations have you encountered.

As I don't have SMSQ/E or Launchpad or QDT or any other whiz-bang QL environment, I don't really know how well these work under the emulator. Please let us know if you have managed to run anything like that on this emulator.

By the way, the Q-emuLator website is by far the best looking in QL world, imo. I'm very impressed!

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
RWAP
RWAP Master

Re: Q-emulator for OS X and Windows

Post by RWAP »

I find Q-Emulator excellent for playing older games - and with Daniele's program for making images of microdrive cassettes which can be loaded directly into the emulator - this gets around most of the copy protection schemes.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

It's a shame the later OSX version doesn't support PowerPC CPUs but I'll probably pick up the windows version sometime after the new year.

Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

vanpeebles wrote:It's a shame the later OSX version doesn't support PowerPC CPUs but I'll probably pick up the windows version sometime after the new year.
If you have a PowerPC Mac, you can still run the older Q-emulator for Mac Classic if your Mac has Classic support (so I think that would be Tiger or earlier - my Leopard equipped G5 does not). I think that the Classic version is free now.

It could be worth sending Daniele an email asking him if he could make a PowerPC build?

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
programandala.net
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by programandala.net »

I've just ordered Q-emuLator 3.00 for Windows. The new features in Q-emuLator 3.0 are worthwhile. I was waiting for this version. I will be able to try it soon.

Some months ago I bought QPC2, because I wanted to work with SMSQ/E and SBASIC without the restriction of the emulation of the original machine. Q-emuLator emulates the original QL, and that's very useful for certain tasks. Besides, it has some nice advantages (e.g. QL disk images, zip files mounting and config text files). In my opinion, both emulators are complementary and impressive.

By the way, I don't use Windows; I use Debian, and both emulators run fine on my system -- with a little Wine. I tried UQLX too, compiling several versions of the sources, but sadly it's still a bit buggy and unstable.

Marcos Cruz (programandala.net)
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Could anyone do a little guide on how the file headers get stripped when using windows or emulators? It's something I've been a bit wary of? Surely from the way I probably mis-see it but will some programs not work in an emulator due to the host machine stripping the file info?

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

vanpeebles wrote:Could anyone do a little guide on how the file headers get stripped when using windows or emulators? It's something I've been a bit wary of? Surely from the way I probably mis-see it but will some programs not work in an emulator due to the host machine stripping the file info?
Done - see http://www.qlforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=34