QPC2 on Second Screen

Discussion and advice about emulating the QL on other machines.
dilwyn
Mr QL

QPC2 on Second Screen

Post by dilwyn »

Something I've only just noticed this morning in trying to use QPC2 (v4.05, Windoze 10) on a second display on this PC is that it seems it can only be set to the maximum resolution of the primary display.

The laptop screen is 1366 x 768 and the second screen is 1920x1080. Neither the startup configuration screen nor the DISP_SIZE command will set it to larger than 1366 x 768.

Presumably this is because it always starts up on the primary laptop screen before I drag it to the second screen, and the maximum size is detected at startup.

(The maximise button will make it fill the 1920x1080 display, but of course this looks stretched and ugly)

It's not a great issue for me by any means, 1366 x 768 is fine - just wanted to test something on a very high resolution QPC2 screen, which I can do on the desktop PC of course.

Any ideas how to work around this?

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Re: QPC2 on Second Screen

Post by NormanDunbar »

Sorry Dilwyn, I have no idea.

I tried the registry, looking for something in my %USERDIR% (or whatever it is called) but found nothing. When I move QPC2 to a location on screen and exit, it comes back up in a different position. There doesn't appear to be any INI files in the installation folder either.

Mind you, this is all on Linux, under Wine, so it might be different on Windows proper.

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

Ive had this before, but cant remember the fix, nor can I try it here at the moment. So a couple of (wild) suggestions:
1) Try moving QPC2's startup dialogue to the high-res screen before you let rip. (Probably wont cut it)
2) Edit the C:\ProgramData\QPC\qpc.ini file directly. Set the resolution you want, and set Window Mode. Start QPC2, then, when the display is moved to the hi-res window, switch to full screen mode.

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

Switch the primary screen to the hires one!

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

XorA wrote:Switch the primary screen to the hires one!
Ah, yes. Thats probably the answer :)

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Thanks XorA. That works as long as the hires screen remains the primary screen. Good enough for what I wanted to do.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

As I've been using QPC2 a lot on my Windoze 10 laptop recently, I've come across another issue which I'm not too sure about.

When the laptop goes to sleep with QPC2 running (e.g. by closing the lid, or after it hasn't been used for a long time), sometimes when it restarts, QPC2 does not want to wake up - it just shows a blank black screen. I can use CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-TAB to restart it, or close it in the normal way and restart it.

This is not consistent - if QPC2 has been minimised before the 'sleep' occurs, it usually (not always) continues normally.

Not too sure which settings have relevance here, In Windoze Settings, Power&Sleep, all options are set to Sleep. QPC2 has Power Management set to ON.

Any ideas on this, since I've had good help on other QPC2 issues lately? It's not a major issue for me as I rarely leave QPC2 running if I put the laptop to sleep.

pjw
QL Wafer Drive

Post by pjw »

With every other W10 update there is some new nonsense (or some old nonsense reappears). I assume you mean that this happens when QPC2 is in full screen mode, 'cause that when it happens in my case. The quickest way out of the problem is to press SHIFT + CTRL F12 twice.

Per
dont be happy. worry
- ?
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

pjw wrote:With every other W10 update there is some new nonsense (or some old nonsense reappears). I assume you mean that this happens when QPC2 is in full screen mode, 'cause that when it happens in my case. The quickest way out of the problem is to press SHIFT + CTRL F12 twice.
Thanks Per, I'll try this. Not noticed it with full screen mode, only windowed.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Yes, seems to work after that hint, but highlights another very minor issue. When QPC2 comes out of being minimised after sleep, the flashing text cursor flashes much faster than normal. Text entry etc seems to work normally and this seems to only be a distraction. After a while, usually after typing a few characters, the correct flashing rate returns. Weird!

If anyone has ideas or additional information on this, maybe we could gather the information and symptons and pass them on to Marcel to investigate at some point (if and when he gets time!)