booting QPC2 from a DOS device

Discussion and advice about emulating the QL on other machines.
programandala.net
Chuggy Microdrive

booting QPC2 from a DOS device

Post by programandala.net »

I'm finishing a QL project. I'm testing it with both QPC2 and Q-emuLator.

Usually I boot QPC2 from a WIN file, but I keep all my own work in DOS1_, because I write the sources with Vim on Debian, and other external tools.

In order to make the program to work in both emulators, with different ROMs and screen modes, it needs a special boot file. During the testing process I have missed the option to boot QPC2 from a DOS device. It would make it easier to test the program booting, without updating every time a WIN file with the latest version of the program and all the files needed. Another partial solution is to boot from a WIN whose boot file changes DATA_USE and then loads the actual boot from the DOS device.

So that's what I've suggested to Marcel Kilgus for a future version of QPC2: enable booting also from
any DOS device.

Does anyone else miss that feature?

Marcos Cruz (programandala.net)
programandala.net
Chuggy Microdrive

Re: booting QPC2 from a DOS device

Post by programandala.net »

programandala.net wrote: So that's what I've suggested to Marcel Kilgus for a future version of QPC2: enable booting also from
any DOS device.
Marcel responded that "unfortunately due to the way booting works in SMSQ/E this is not as easy as one might think" and he suggested the simple solution I was already using in those cases: a small WIN file with a boot file that does nothing but "LRUN dos1_boot".

Marcos Cruz (programandala.net)
brethane
ROM Dongle

Post by brethane »

Can a macro be written in Wordperfect10 that will execute keystrokes for a DOS based program running under XP? I'm running a DOS based program that I need 3 separate keystrokes, one being the ENTER key, executed to do a repetative task. Wordperfect 10 is the only program I have to work from, being the computer is at work.
Last edited by brethane on Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

brethane wrote:Can a macro be written in Wordperfect10 that will execute keystrokes for a DOS based program running under XP? I'm running a DOS based program that I need 3 separate keystrokes, one being the ENTER key, executed to do a repetative task. Wordperfect 10 is the only program I have to work from, being the computer is at work.
Now, although this would be better addressed to a PC / DOS / WordPerfect forum (rather than a forum for Sinclair QL Home Computer users), could we maybe offer a solution using a QL emulator running under Windows ?

I don't know if there is a way of stuffing the DOS keyboard buffer.....