QLAY on RISC OS

Discussion and advice about emulating the QL on other machines.
robheaton
Site Admin

QLAY on RISC OS

Post by robheaton »

I'm not sure if anyone else other than myself would try this..
Using FastDOSBox, you can run QLAY 0.90 on RISC OS 5.21.

Standard DOSBox would just quit when attempting to start QLAY, however FastDOSBox was quite happy.
Emulation is a little slow, however I'm going to see if FastDOSBox can be optimised to run a specific application.
Attachments
QLAY on RISC OS
QLAY on RISC OS

--
If vanpeebles parps in the woods and there is nobody around, does it make a sound?
lostcarpark
ROM Dongle

Re: QLAY on RISC OS

Post by lostcarpark »

I love the insanity of this... But you're emulating a 68k inside an emulated x86 inside an ARM! It's wonderful, but not surprising the performance leaves a little toBe desired.

James

robheaton
Site Admin

Post by robheaton »

Yep! It was purely just a fun exercise!

My other idea was to recompile a QL emulator for RISC OS using GCCSDK.
GCCSDK allows you to cross compile *nix software for RISC OS. (Albeit some software needs various patches to compile.)

Do we have any other QL users here that also use RISC OS?

--
If vanpeebles parps in the woods and there is nobody around, does it make a sound?
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi Rob,

Not quite a RiscOS user, but I have an Archimedes 3020 with a leaked backup battery to fix. The battery leaked all over the board and shorted the onboard PSU.

Looks like a new transformer and maybe all the logic chips, depending on the corrosion

I was hoping to get this working and use it as a fast BBC Micro, to get the BBC Elite running to see if it could be ported to the QL in 68K assembler.

I also wanted to do some RISC assembler programming, maybe a RPI2 would be better.

Regards,

Derek