DoxDirect

Please post user feedback when you buy or sell.
Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

DoxDirect

Post by Sparrowhawk »

I thought I'd leave feedback on a non-QL related company: DoxDirect. https://www.doxdirect.com

I have been using them to print old technical manuals, such as the CP/M ones (went with A5), the Colour Maximite 2 manuals (A5) and also more recently for Norman's Assembler course (A4, colour) and just yesterday I received the SMSQ/E manual (A4)

In every case the printing has been top notch, although it can only be as good as the quality of the source PDF of course - some CP/M manuals have that authentic daisy wheel printer look :)

As an example, the SMSQ/E manual I got in black and white A4, ring bound with clear plastic covers front and rear, all for £11. I reckon that's pretty good. I treated myself to colour for Norman's book since it is used so extensively throughout, and I am glad that I did. Note that colour pushes the price up very significantly.

Delivery is usually within 3 days, and they always include a chewy sweet too, for those partial to such things (I don't, but my wife is a fan)!

The website is really very well done and easy to use, which is not the case for a lot of business sites these days.

I thought that the above may be of use to anyone else wishing to print off any manuals from eg Dilwyn's site's documentation section.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with the above and of course your experience may not match mine - don't come knocking on my door if you send off some PDFs of the QPTR system and get back a set of instructions for de-worming cats... :D

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
BackToQL
ROM Dongle

Re: DoxDirect

Post by BackToQL »

Would you be prepared to say how much it cost to have Norman's Assembler course printed in A4, colour?

When I saw your post with the picture of the printed book, I checked Amazon in view of purchasing one.

Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

Norman's book cost £42.76 to print in colour in A4. I think it is worth it for the diagrams to be so clear.

B&W would have dropped this right down to low £20s I think, and printing to A5 has a large effect too (I can't recall the exact reduction). However, I've paid more money for other technical books which have been of lesser quality/use in the past, and as I am serious about finally learning Assembler, I decided to go for it. Just a shame Norman does not get a royalty. Def a few beers owed to him for this wonderful tome.

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
BackToQL
ROM Dongle

Post by BackToQL »

Agree Norm does deserve a pint or two for his help on this forum and the QL community in general.

NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

Double blush!

Thanks gents, for the kind words. I do my best to help and also, make use of help from others. So give and take.

My assembly book is also available via Tinyfpga on this forum. For around a tenner I believe. He was kind enough to print me a copy some time ago when he asked if I minded him printing it off.

Everything I do comes with no price. We'll, except my current Arduino Software Internals book from A press.com and, of course, Amazon.

I have a GitHub account (GitHub.com/NormanDunbar -- capitalisation is important) and there are quite a lot of QL related stuff, also Oracle database stuff, and some right shit! Help yourselves any time, feel free to print off, sell etc as you wish. If you domake money off of my stuff, please make a donation to charity, I support cancer, RNLI, Dogs Trust, etc.

And, finally, I don't drink beer! I'm a cider drinker.

And really finally, without the other people on this forum and the mailing list, I wouldn't be the helpful person you think I am! :D

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

A Scottish cider drinker?!!!..... Mind. Blown. :D

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

My assembly book is also available via Tinyfpga on this forum. For around a tenner I believe.
Is that A4 colour? If so that is a great price and a way better deal than I got. Drat! :D

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
NormanDunbar
Forum Moderator

Post by NormanDunbar »

A4, yes, spiral bound, yes.
Colour: no, sorry, greyscale -- but I have to say, it's excellent quality and very clear.

Mind you, my files are produced by LaTeX so the quality is excellent to start with.

Sorry if I misled you there, unintentional, I could have sworn it was colour, but I suspect I was thinking of the PDF file. :(

Cheers,
Norm.

Why do they put lightning conductors on churches?
Author of Arduino Software Internals
Author of Arduino Interrupts

No longer on Twitter, find me on https://mastodon.scot/@NormanDunbar.
Sparrowhawk
Super Gold Card

Post by Sparrowhawk »

Yeah, colour is the killer, price wise. Even on a small doc.

a.k.a. Jean-Yves
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Hi,

I thought every thing was black and white in assembler...

Regards,

Derek