The humongous Sandy Electronics thread...

A place to discuss general QL issues.
Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Re: The humongous Sandy Electronics thread...

Post by Derek_Stewart »

I have the same problem in UK, the Post Office want to know what is in the parcel.

Recently I sold a mobile phone and had to say the battery was not included, otherwise the postal insurance would cancelled.

Regards,

Derek
1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

It is a bit ridiculous considering that people walk, ride and travel by air with lots of battery powered gadgets in their pockets.

Just me alone when at work - THREE (yes, 3) mobile 'phones (My own mobile 'phone, my work issued mobile 'phone and the team leader mobile 'phone that control call us on), a wristwatch, and sometimes my Palm PDA. Plus in the vehicle a laptop, a pocket PC with custom software for data logging, a handheld PC with various company instructions on... Oh and a box of spare batteries...

And I receive parcels from electronic companies (not yet by air though) containing various cells, including sealed lead acid, NiCad, NiMh, Alkaline and lithium types.

But then, batteries and cells are misunderstood by lay people.

Mark

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

Contents: electronic components ;)

Mark

“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Mark,

you're a walking bomb.

Ask for a pay-rise as a danger bonus ;)

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
prime
Trump Card

Post by prime »

I believe one of the problems on planes is that stuff like that goes in the hold which is not pressurized so can cause things to explode. They apparently get really picky about Lead-acid batteries because they could (at least theoretically) leak and cause structural problems for the plane.

The problem for us is that the average customs officer sees battery and thinks big truck thing that might harm the plane rather than CR2032.....

A similar problem exists with the 'R' word (radioactive) try to ship something like vaselene glass (contains Uranium as a pigment and is very weakly radioactive) and mark it radioactive and they think Hiroshima, Chernobyl and you get that sent back too...

Cheers.

Phill.

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Dave - I presume that the battery holders are being shipped without batteries - in which case you need to label them as 'Battery Adaptor Only - No Battery'.

Shipping batteries within the UK is fine - it is when they have to be sent overseas the UK post office will not allow them.

Adaptors is not an issue!

I just wonder how companies / shops will be able to buy watch batteries in the future, unless they happen to be made in their country!

1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

“There are four lights!”

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

It's the silliest thing. I am allowed to ship batteries as they are fitted/installed in the device, they contain less than 1 oz of lithium, and there are less than 3 of them.

And then a package with batteries in it gets through, and ones that have no batteries in them are rejected.

Only one solution: I just need to be less specific on the customs form, so some jobsworth nutbar can't find something to do to be all officious.

Derek_Stewart
Font of All Knowledge

Post by Derek_Stewart »

Just have not indicate that there is a battery.

Regards,

Derek
tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Declare as Nuclear Fission Device and retry ;)

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO