No votes
Never Used It!
20%

Total votes: 10

robheaton
Site Admin

Online Chat

Post by robheaton »

We are currently trialing a new 'Online Chat' system, this allows our members to communicate in real time and will hopefully add a social side to the Forum!

Once signed into the Forum, you will see a link above, called 'Online Chat' (This sits next to the 'User Control Panel')

You can also connect via an IRC client of your choice, using the following settings;
IRC Server: chat.qlforum.co.uk
Port: 6667
Channel Name: #qlforum

If the Online Chat is a success, we'll look at purchasing the ad-free version, which also allows us to apply the look and feel of the forum to the chat window.

Please follow up this post with any feedback on the new chat system, we are very interested in what our members think!

**** EDIT 10/01/2014 ****
Please submit feedback via the poll above and leave any other comments in this thread.

--
If vanpeebles parps in the woods and there is nobody around, does it make a sound?
dilwyn
Mr QL

Re: New Online Chat

Post by dilwyn »

robheaton wrote:We are currently trialing a new 'Online Chat' system, this allows our members to communicate in real time and will hopefully add a social side to the Forum!
Just tried it with Rob, vanpeebles and Dave and it seemed to work well. Another resource for QL users to stay in touch!

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

Indeed. Peter Graf showed up and interesting conversations were had.

I think this is going to do a lot to bring the QL community closer together.

Peter
QL Wafer Drive

Post by Peter »

I never used IRC before, and I liked the QL chat. It allows non-native speakers like me to understand English more easily than on the phone, especially when there is local accent. There is the typing work of course, but in comparison to forum posts or email, with relaxed spelling, and the option to immediately ask back. Can not replace the existing QL communication channels, but I find it a nice add-on.

Dave, if you bring Nasta online, I'll bring Richard... ;)

And let's see if Tony Tebby unexpectedly appears on the chat someday! :D

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

It was good fun last night and very entertaining :D Thank you to everyone who visited :)

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

robheaton wrote:We are currently trialing a new 'Online Chat' system, this allows our members to communicate in real time and will hopefully add a social side to the Forum!
The Online Chat could prove useful as a planned event too.

For example, Rich could ask us all to join online on a certain night at a certain time to brainstorm QL Is 30 ideas, or we could all 'meet' to discuss a particular topic such as making sure the "experts" on given subjects are here to host a kind of workshop, e.g. we could get ToFro to answer questions on RPi uQLx for example. There's lots of possibilities with this!

belg4rion67
Trump Card

Post by belg4rion67 »

dilwyn wrote:

For example, Rich could ask us all to join online on a certain night at a certain time to brainstorm QL Is 30 ideas, or we could all 'meet' to discuss a particular topic such as making sure the "experts" on given subjects are here to host a kind of workshop, e.g. we could get ToFro to answer questions on RPi uQLx for example. There's lots of possibilities with this!
..this is the reason why you are "Mr. QL" !! :D

Only original hardware! :)
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

belg4rion67 wrote:
dilwyn wrote:
..this is the reason why you are "Mr. QL" !! :D
:oops:

I noticed when using the Online Chat that it has a Translate function, which might be useful for those whose first language isn't that of the chat taking place (no Welsh sadly...) :ugeek:

robheaton
Site Admin

Post by robheaton »

It's great to see such enthusiasm for the chat system, please feel free to use it for any special events, we can also setup private rooms for different topics.

It was great last night chatting to several of the forum members, hopefully good fun was had by all! :D

I'll start putting together a post containing useful chat commands.
If any of you have previously used IRC (Internet Relay Chat) all the standard commands work.

--
If vanpeebles parps in the woods and there is nobody around, does it make a sound?
Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

dilwyn wrote:I noticed when using the Online Chat that it has a Translate function, which might be useful for those whose first language isn't that of the chat taking place (no Welsh sadly...) :ugeek:
Well, no. Some of those sounds don't appear in any character set!