QL is 30 Event During 2014

A place to discuss general QL issues.
RWAP
RWAP Master

QL is 30 Event During 2014

Post by RWAP »

Although there has been some (limited) discussion on the ql-users mailing list about the QL's 30th Anniversary next year, it has been pretty much a resounding quietness over an event.

Basically the thoughts are that there should be some sort of event around October next year to celebrate the QL's 30th Anniversary.

I have made some preliminary enquiries, and about the best venue I could find (at a reasonable price) is the Centre for Computing History in Cambridge.

My idea is that this should be a ticketed event (say £15-£20 for the weekend) which is aimed at all Sinclair computers (not just the QL). Quanta seem quite keen on the idea of them paying for Quanta members who turn up at the event - and they would provide a Quanta contingent to promote the club and offer a repair service.

The problem seems mainly to be that the organisation of the event would be down to me.

So the questions are:
1) Would people be willing to event such an event
2) What would people like to see at the event?
3) If we can people to turn up to provide talks, who would you like to see there - and can you twist their arm to attend!

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Re: QL is 30 Event During 2014

Post by vanpeebles »

Trouble for me is getting to places. My old jalopy is fine for a 10 minute drive to work but I couldn't trust it on longer journeys until I get round to changing all the parts. I've used the train like 4 times in my life and it was a totally awful experience each time so I avoid them like the plague.

And anywhere south of Darlington is like a trip abroad :lol:

But I'd give the event my full support with a title banner etc.

1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

Okay, I've just done a back of an envelope type calculation. I estimate that in my life so far, I've travelled on approx 3700 trains :shock:
By road, I've either driven, or been a passenger about double this amount (this is much harder to estimate).
I have travelled mostly for less than an hour, but have travelled for 2 hours or more lots of times.
Sometimes the trains can be a pain, but mostly they are okay.

Anyway, a train & tube journey for me to Cambridge is just over 4 hours, and by car it is about 3½ to 3¾ hours (shame it's not the Cambridge in Gloucestershire, that's just up the motorway from me...).

Oh and sorry, I have no idea if I can make it yet :(

Mark

:!: Standby alert :!:
“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:
Looking forward to summer in Somerset later in the year :)

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

I really don't know how people can commute on trains, it would drive me mad (and skint) :lol:

1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

vanpeebles wrote:And anywhere south of Darlington is like a trip abroad :lol:
I live south of Bristol, but have made it as far north as York so far :D And that was by train :P

Mark

“There are four lights!”
Step up to red alert. Sir, are you absolutely sure? It does mean changing the bulb :!:

QL, Falcon, Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STE, more PC's than I care to count and an assortment of 8 bit micros (Sinclair and Acorn)(nearly forgot the Psion's)
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

1024MAK wrote:
vanpeebles wrote:And anywhere south of Darlington is like a trip abroad :lol:
I live south of Bristol, but have made it as far north as York so far :D And that was by train :P

Mark
Hehehe. I have actually been to York by train that I forgot about. Outside the station there was a drunken half passed out tramp and an angry looking railway type worker booted him and told him to get a job.

1024MAK
Super Gold Card

Post by 1024MAK »

vanpeebles wrote:I really don't know how people can commute on trains, it would drive me mad (and skint) :lol:
Travelling to off-topic :? , but workplace subsidised train (about 35 to 40 mins) vs. Bristol's 5mph nearly all day "rush hour" traffic (anywhere between 45 mins on a good day to over an hour to 1½ hours on a bad day) via road :cry: .

And I can browse the forum on the train :D

Mark

“There are four lights!”

schombi
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by schombi »

RWAP wrote:Although there has been some (limited) discussion on the ql-users mailing list about the QL's 30th Anniversary next year, it has been pretty much a resounding quietness over an event.

Basically the thoughts are that there should be some sort of event around October next year to celebrate the QL's 30th Anniversary.

I have made some preliminary enquiries, and about the best venue I could find (at a reasonable price) is the Centre for Computing History in Cambridge.

My idea is that this should be a ticketed event (say £15-£20 for the weekend) which is aimed at all Sinclair computers (not just the QL). Quanta seem quite keen on the idea of them paying for Quanta members who turn up at the event - and they would provide a Quanta contingent to promote the club and offer a repair service.

The problem seems mainly to be that the organisation of the event would be down to me.

So the questions are:
1) Would people be willing to event such an event
2) What would people like to see at the event?
3) If we can people to turn up to provide talks, who would you like to see there - and can you twist their arm to attend!
I would definitely come to Cambridge for such an event! I have been there just the other week and travel was a piece of cake. Ryanair flight from FKB to STN and then a super-easy 30min ride on the train, that stops just in front/underneath of Stansted Airport.

I had some difficulties finding the Centre of Computing history. They moved not too long ago and would need some better sign-posting. Finally I got there and found it a great place.

So to your questions:
1) Would people be willing to event such an event YES!
2) What would people like to see at the event? Meet with other QL resp. Sinclair/MGT fans. See some QL hardware (Rich, I guess you´d have some nice, rare items). See new hardware developments. A HW/SW flea market. A repair service would be awesome. Workshops on programming or even hardware troubleshooting
3) If we can people to turn up to provide talks, who would you like to see there - and can you twist their arm to attend![/quote] One of the ex-Sinclair members sharing his/her memories/thoughts would be great. Also I´d like to have speeches on modern QL hardware, infos on Clubs/Magazines (e.g. Quanta member, Jochen Merz) and also on general retro computing (e.g. Jason Fitzpatrick). Ideally we get Sir Clive himself to the Centre of Computing history ;)

XorA
Site Admin

Post by XorA »

Certainly interested in an event, never been to any retro event before.

Train from Edin->Cambridge is real easy.

Or I could be persuaded to drive and pick upto 3 wayward souls up on route :-)

G

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

That sounds good, make a forum mini meet out of it. Plus money for petrol etc. :D