TV Mode vs Monitor mode

A place to discuss general QL issues.
JonB
Bent Pin Expansion Port

TV Mode vs Monitor mode

Post by JonB »

Well, here I am again. I seek knowledge!

What is the difference between TV and Monitor modes on the QL? I see that Monitor mode splits the screen into windows, but are there any other benefits? I ask because I cannot see the left hand side of the command line in Monitor mode in an LCD TV via RGB and this is a bit annoying. It's over scanning I bet.

What I really wanted was to get away from that awful Spectrum-like feel of the BASIC editor, but I discovered that in TV mode, doing MODE 4: PAPER 0: CLS seems to do the biz.

So... why would I want to use Monitor Mode? They seem to be identical in Quill.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Re: TV Mode vs Monitor mode

Post by Dave »

TV mode kindly drops you in mode 8, and uses less than the full width of the over-scanned screen. #1 and #2 are overlaid, red and blue, and are contained within the "safe" area that is pretty much guaranteed to display on any 1980s TV.

Monitor mode drops you in mode 4, with the full 512 pixel width available. It over-scans about 24 pixels on each side of the image, which do not fall in the safe area. This over-scanning tends to lengthen the screen slightly so the bottom line or two drop off as well.

Personally, I always pressed F2 and had my boot file recreate the split screens within the visible area on my TV, until I got a monitor, that is - then I never looked back.

JonB
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by JonB »

Ah, thought so, thanks Dave. Guess it's TV mode for me, then :(

That said, I can enter Mode 4 with a single command and it looks fine to me, so I've set up a boot file for that.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

QL Chess in high res on a monitor is one of the wonders of the world. Just looks stunning :ugeek:

JonB
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by JonB »

vanpeebles wrote:QL Chess in high res on a monitor is one of the wonders of the world. Just looks stunning :ugeek:
Thanks for that, great to know what I'll be missing. Oh hang on, I don't have QL Chess! :lol:

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

Hi,
before you accept being stuck in TV mode, check your TV's manual - Some newer TVs allow you to adjust the screen parameters and scan frequencies just like a Multisync - Your's might be able to display the complete 512x256 pixels (mine does, a cheap chinese LCD TV)

Tobias

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
JonB
Bent Pin Expansion Port

Post by JonB »

Thanks tofro, I have looked through the menus and tried various things but no joy. It doesn't allow me to alter scan settings.