Re: QL Show 13th / 14th April 2013

Post by vanpeebles »

Super pics, good work :ugeek:

Mr_Navigator
QL Fanatic

Post by Mr_Navigator »

GEDC0582.jpg
George explains to Sarah why colour selection across all QL variations causes an in-balance in the quantum effect on the universe's gravitational field and subsequent processor speed fluctuations can black hole dark matter! or was it I've already paid my bill?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QLick here for the Back 2 the QL Blog http://backtotheql.blogspot.co.uk/
vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

How is the show going?

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

I have used Skype today to speak with some people at the show - will be joining the AGM later via Skype to have my vote and say.

I spoke to them again about the dedicated section of the QL Forum for Quanta members to make it easier to access the library and probably the magazine online for members - although I am still not certain they realise that someone from Quanta will need to act as moderator to ensure that Quanta members are marked as such on the forums (and can then access the area!)

More people should be using this now if they cannot attend.

Plenty of discussion going on.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

Mr_Navigator wrote:
GEDC0574.jpg
Worlds smallest QL makes an appearance
He he, thanks Mr Navigator. It is of course a special version of QL On A Stick, called QL On A Stick SE (the SE standing for Special Edition or Smallest Edition if you prefer), on a mini-USB pen/thumb drive.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

RWAP wrote:I have used Skype today to speak with some people at the show - will be joining the AGM later via Skype to have my vote and say.
And once connection was established it went OK, voice only I gather. I think one thing we have established is we need one Skype-enabled laptop per member taking part (can't remember why, sorry) and the mobile dongle didn't have a fantastic signal there. MIGHT mean we have a bank of laptops and a only a few members in the room in future if lots ask to participate :?

We have now successfully tried Skype facility at committee meetings and AGM, so might encourage more members overseas to participate more easily in future, for example.
agmskyped.jpg
Rich taking part via Skype, on the table between committee members Keith (left), Alison, Sarah and John
[quote="RWAP]I spoke to them again about the dedicated section of the QL Forum for Quanta members to make it easier to access the library and probably the magazine online for members - although I am still not certain they realise that someone from Quanta will need to act as moderator to ensure that Quanta members are marked as such on the forums (and can then access the area!)
[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]
Most do, but were fairly muted when you raised the issue. The concern was more about possible data protection implication as we may have to share member information with Rob and vanpeebles to set it up
Last edited by dilwyn on Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

vanpeebles wrote:Super pics, good work :ugeek:
GEDC0584.jpg
We realised the venue was just right when we saw the Quantum Leap dustbins :D

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

vanpeebles wrote:[quote="dilwyn]Quanta is grateful to QL Forum for putting up the AGM & Workshop banner to publicise this event.
More than welcome! I hope it draws up extra interest, if anyone does go along after seeing it on the forum please mention on the day :)[/quote][/quote]
He he, you can take it down now vanpeebles, it's over!

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Did the banner help at all?

I'm not sure if data protection is an issue, the way I would do it. Quanta member joins forum(may already be a member) sends the quanta forum mod a pm saying I'm Quanta member X they then check their list of members and allow that person access. I don't think myself or Rob would need any details or to even be involved in the process :)

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Skype worked OK with a couple of small glitches - I don't have a webcam, so it was only audio only from me - may be a good idea to cut down on bandwidth requirements over mobile internet anyway!

As for having one computer for each person attending virtually - you need to look at Group Call – can link in up to 25 people to the same call (but would need a Skype Premium account).
https://support.skype.com/en/category/C ... E_CALLING/

As for data protection and sharing of data ….

This is not an issue – basically need a single forum on there where users can register that they want access to the Quanta section – needs to say at top that any users who leave a message on this forum, agree to share their username, email and name details (?) with Quanta for the purposes of verifying their Quanta membership, so that the requisite permissions can be added to their account.

If 1+ committee members subscribe to that topic, then you will get notice as soon as someone adds a note saying ‘give me access’ – if committee member is then also an administrator, they can view the user’s profile and grant permission as required to access the Quanta section.