Quanta subscription

A place to discuss general QL issues.
dilwyn
Mr QL

Re: Quanta subscription

Post by dilwyn »

cybervet wrote:I got initial contact and not the login details yet.
According to the site members have access to the database of QL programs maintained by Quanta, "in addition to the magazine, QUANTA has a large library of software, currently standing at over 900 programs written mostly by members. This is not Public Domain, as it is only available to members.
Details of programs in the library are kept in a database.
Copies of the database and Library Guide (disk LG01) are available from the Librarian, or to download from this section of the website. Non-members are welcome to download the Library Guide disk, to get an idea of what Quanta has to offer."

it would be an unpleasant surprise if this is not the case.
in addition members should be able to have access to past issues of quanta magazine (e-form) but I might be wrong on that.
Tassos
The website is in a state of transition at the moment. We abandoned the old CMS and our webmaster is moving content over to the new site. While this goes on, some features might not work.

The members area was never used on the old site, as far as I know. The Library Guide disk was on there to download, but not the library itself.

The Library Guide disk can be zipped up and emailed to you if you want a copy. It's a bit big for a dial-up connection, but no problem if you have broadband. Once you have the Library Guide and know which disk you want, we may be able to zip up small numbers of individual disks and email them to members on request. There is a CD containing the entire library which can be copied for members. The Library itself is being frozen now. No new submissions have been received for some time as most software now appears free on websites or from people like RWAP, Jochen Merz and Quo Vadis.

Back issues of magazines are not all available electronically. Only ones from recent years have been saved electronically. John Gilpin has done some work scanning older issues, but he had few if any offers to help with that job and I don't know how far he got. I don't think it was anywhere vaguely near the full 29 or so years! (hope I'm wrong though...). I have the full set on paper and could probably scan individual articles for members on request but wouldn't have the time to scan whole issues, certainly not to proof read them. The ones from the early years are poor quality dot matrix print which is very hard to OCR with any degree of accuracy.

I would be the first to admit we certainly didn't get it right with the website, although we tried. The way forward now is a simpler, more basic website with more realistic ambitions.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

The library CD sounds very interesting, how easy is it to get things off it and back onto a normal ql?

dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

vanpeebles wrote:The library CD sounds very interesting, how easy is it to get things off it and back onto a normal ql?
All of the software is in a QXL.WIN so any emulator able to access QXL.WIN (QPC, registered QemuLator, SMSQmulator, uQLx, QXL...) will be able to read it.

A Windows program such as Jonathan Hudson's WXQT2 would be able to transfer between QXL.WIN and floppy disk.

There are QL programs out there such as QCDEZE and QXLWIN (see http://www.dilwyn.me.uk/files/index.html able to read qxl.win. These would work on a QL fitted with Qubide to which you attach a suitable IDE CD-ROM drive, along with Thierry Godefroy's Atapi-CD software on same page.

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

I've not had any experience of using QXL.WIN files yet but could I use it on qemulator and then write the programs wanted back on to floppies?

tofro
Font of All Knowledge

Post by tofro »

as long as you have the registered version, yes.

ʎɐqǝ ɯoɹɟ ǝq oʇ ƃuᴉoƃ ʇou sᴉ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ʇxǝu ʎɯ 'ɹɐǝp ɥO
dilwyn
Mr QL

Post by dilwyn »

tofro wrote:as long as you have the registered version, yes.
...and your PC has a floppy disc drive :lol:

vanpeebles
Commissario Pebbli

Post by vanpeebles »

Gah I do have a registered one and gah my new pc has no floppy. I still have access to the old one though :geek:

cybervet
Chuggy Microdrive

Post by cybervet »

Maybe it would be a good idea to create an FTP server for the members with past Quanta issues and any available software .....
Tassos

RWAP
RWAP Master

Post by RWAP »

Actually, as you have switched to WordPress - I think there is an ability to restrict some pages to users within a certain group, which could be used to set up a members access.

FTP would be another option, although it does mean setting up each member with an FTP account.

Dave
SandySuperQDave

Post by Dave »

I sometimes get the impression Quanta is sitting in a dark room, humming to themselves and wishing it was still 1985. :) I do not understand why they don't have a forum, based on phpBB, that has public areas so non-members can find out what Quanta's about, and a larger private area for dues-paying members. They could have a file/code exchange area, local group forums, etc.

It would have numerous advantages. The members would write the content!

Then, they just need a front end for it all, for the conventional website. Something like wordpress would work, but be conventional. They could go for something like slashcode or php-nuke, which are more story/event based. They could take payments for a range of products/services using opencart.

All the ones I have listed are open source, free, and well supported.